Discussion » Questions » Business » Freelancers, how do you deal with a horrible client ?

Freelancers, how do you deal with a horrible client ?

I work freelance.

I am working on a project.

Deadline June 29  ( set on June 13 )

I like the project, it is very interesting, I don´t mind the long hours.

However , my client is another story.

She waited a month after contacting me to send me the documents.  She knew she had a very narrow  deadline, and yet she waited all that time.  Now, she is in a hurry to get them ready, and even though we agreed on a deadline, she calls me everyday to ask me if I am making any progress and if I can send her material that I´ve already finished.

Today she called me and I couldn´t hide my displeasure.  I was annoyed by her constant monitoring.

I am very professional.  I work hard. I don´t need this kind of attitude from a person who knows quite well the deadline is not up , yet and still keeps interrumpting me with her incessant demands.

What to do ?

Posted - June 23, 2016

Responses

Thanks for your answer.

I´ve done all you suggested.

I´ve kept in touch with her , letting her know how the project is coming along.

We agreed on the deadline together.

I´ve already sent her finished material with the invoices but she keeps pressuring me to hurry up.

I guess that is the way she handles things in her office, but that kind of attitude only causes interruptions and that is the last thing I need.

I have spoken to her clearly and told her at the beginning that I don´t compromise the quality of my work by setting unrealistic deadlines. 

I´ve worked for that company before ( but this is the first time I have to deal with this lady ).

I was recommended to her by her boss because they like how I work, and I appreciate that but I don´t really care for her managerial style.

June 23, 2016 6:55 PM MDT

I thought that was the perk of being a freelancer. You don't have to deal with him/her.  Tell them to piss off and get ones you can stand. If you cannot, try another career.

June 23, 2016 6:58 PM MDT

Just send her a end of day progress report. And don't answer her calls during the day. Tell her in the email if she needs to contact you she must do it in the hour of 9-10 in the morning. That because of the deadline you need to be able to work steady through the day to meet the deadline.

If she may protest but it is reasonable and as long as you word it respectfully, it should not be a problem.
    Some people are just problems....and there isn't much you can do to make them happy.
      June 23, 2016 7:32 PM MDT

True dat.  Thank you   :-)

June 23, 2016 7:48 PM MDT

Thanks for your encouraging words.

June 23, 2016 7:49 PM MDT

Thanks for your answer.

June 24, 2016 2:58 PM MDT