Active Now

Zack
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Have automatic computer updates ever screwed up something in your computer? How do you unscrew it?

Have automatic computer updates ever screwed up something in your computer? How do you unscrew it?

Posted - November 27, 2016

Responses

System restore to a previous date before the update.
      November 27, 2016 6:31 AM MST

That did the trick for me as well.
      November 27, 2016 6:34 AM MST
  • Bez

I used to get that with my old computer. My current one doesn't do it.
      November 27, 2016 6:33 AM MST

• Nope.   I never allow automatic updates.   I look at all of them and okay them on my machines.   With the exception of security bug fixes I often don't allow them.   There's a lot of updates to an OS that doesn't even have any use on a persons home machines and just lead to bloating the OS.
      November 27, 2016 8:53 AM MST

How? I'm running Windows 7 and the updates just take over in the midst of my doing whatever. It is very rude  and doesn't ask permission. My last automatic update now thinks many of the  Answermug-based alerts are spam and blocks them. A few get through. Why I don't know. Thank you for your reply Glis and Happy Friday.                                                                                             
      December 9, 2016 2:56 AM MST

• Here's a link with the steps. 
    http://www.intechgrity.com/how-to-properly-disable-windows/#
      December 9, 2016 3:30 AM MST

Thank you for the link Glis. Whatta pal! :)
      December 9, 2016 3:34 AM MST

Oh Yes! Though with "help" from me.

Not so much "automatic" but after holding out for several months to see how it developed and what people thought of it, I fell for Microsoft persuading me to "up-grade" my Windows-7 PC to WIN-10. Others reckoned it was very good - but I failed to ask what they use their computers for beyond e-posts and Facebook-faffing*.

Yes, W10 is designed to run on portable instruments as well as table-top PCs. Yes, MS claims to keep WIN-10 automatically up-to-date, whatever it really means by that... BUT Otherwise...

What a mass of utter, gimmick-laden, low-budget, low-quality, badly-presented.....  crap!

The photo-filing system was slightly better than earlier ones, once I found it, but general navigation was awkward, the embedded Office programmes were very poor versions of what had been approaching somewhere quite good; and worse it deleted my half-dozen web-site registrations. Eventually I had to revert the OS to 7 - MS did offer that choice - but recovering the registrations took hours of labour and frustration.

(I see WIN 7 and its versions of 'Word', Excel' etc as shabby, low-budget and slap-dash compared to XP and accompanying 'Office' set. Although that older s/w still contained inexcusably crass flaws, I regard it as MS' developmental zenith, having started my own computer using with MS-DOS, WIN-3, etc.)

Basically, I regard Microsoft as a complacent, arrogant monopoly whose designers have run out of ideas, and whose contract programmers don't seem able to understand what people use computers for beyond glorified TV-viewing and chatting on social "for a". [sic - MS' enforced spelling error not mine: the word should be "FORA" not "FOR A" but the same programmers do not know how to make the applications accept simple plurals.]. So MS merely tinkers around the edges, removes really useful features from its serious applications, makes it all ever less useful and harder to use, changes the look from smart (-ish) to cheap and scrappy; then thinks us stupid enough to believe its "up-graded" claim. B*ll*cks.

Up-dated yes, but that is a mere chronological statement; up-graded , no.

*Facebook-faffing. I know FB is not or was not an MS product, I don't know Twitter's history;  but I neither need nor want their ilk, and would not touch them with a barge-mouse. Nor do I watch television on-line.
      December 8, 2016 3:12 PM MST

•   December 8, 2016 4:18 PM MST

You are way more computer-literate than I am m'dear. Windows 7 just updates at will. Now at one point Microsoft AUTOMATICALLY installed Windows 10 without my permission. I called my computer repair guy and he came out to uninstall it. He told me he was going on quite a few calls every week to do the same thing. See I don't know how to do anything on the computer but use it. I don't know how to uninstall. I'd probably crash everything. So the latest update treats many Answermug-based alerts as spam and blocks them. A few will get through. How or why I have no idea. I do think they were impertinent and arrogant as he** to force Windows 10 on us. Thank you for your thoughtful analysis Durdle. I don't tweet or facebook or youtube or myspace or any of that stuff. I just email and Answermug and research stuff in which I'm interested. Simple needs. I just want them to WORK the way I expect. Is that too much to ask? I guess so. I LOVED XP.  They took it away from me. Bums! Bah! Humbug! :) This post was edited by RosieG at December 9, 2016 4:58 AM MST
      December 9, 2016 3:31 AM MST

Thank you for the "Like"!
      December 8, 2016 4:08 PM MST

Is this addressed to moi Durdle? You're welcome m'dear! :) I'd love to double like or triple like your stuff but I'm limited to just one like. I tried more and it just reversed the like to zero. Bummer! :) So one like per person is it! :(
      December 9, 2016 3:36 AM MST

Ah, thank you Rosie! You don't need to produce multiple "Likes" - it's the thought that counts.

I am by no means an IT expert, and struggle to learn some aspects. I find some parts of sites like this very hard to understand, and "CAD" (Computer-Aided Draughting"), used for engineering drawings, impossible for me to learn.

I am not naïve though - I do not trust the major IT companies, and manage to see through most attempted attacks and on-line advertising. 

A lot of people have complained about MS forcing WIN-10 on them without asking, and with no care about any consequences such as preventing you to continue using perfectly good peripheral software & files; but my installation was voluntary, and at the time, Chez Gates did grudgingly allow you to revert to 7.  

An important point was that WIN-10's installer displays a large "Full Installation" (or similar words) screen button, but puts the "Custom" option in very small print. If you fall for the full installation it gives MS very much higher over-sight and control of your computer, presumably to help it sell your personal details to advertising-agencies and on-line retailers - without your knowledge let alone permission, and a even greater risk of being hacked. 'Custom' gives you some control over this aspect of the OS.

Companies like Google and Facebook already do this. Indeed, data-harvesting is FB's main line of work, it's not an altruist chat-site, and probably why you lose all control of anything you publish on it. However, what MS wanted from you would have made such commercial intrusion via your Internet use far easier.

Even with WIN 7 I have encountered another piece of either ineptitude or vandalism by MS on your data.

I had to send some Word & Excel files from my work PC preparatory to retiring (personnel matters and some after-hours private-study work). I've also received documents as a club committee-member by the club's private mailing-list. In both cases, the files arrived in a useless state. MS has modified Outlook to convert data files by default into a strange image type denoted by 'x' after the normal dot-phrase - "docx", "xlsx". You cannot open and edit them; you cannot incorporate them properly in other documents (in the club's case, to produce cohesive meetings-handbooks). You cannot revert them to their original, standard file-types.

A 'dot-aaax' file is rather like a pdf file - purely an unalterable page-image, but even less useable, and sometimes not even readable.

I have no idea of MS' motives, but discovered that curiously, sending the file as if made by a much earlier, more basic programme-format seemed to keep them intact and useable. This suggests the application versions MS now add a hidden 'x' file tag so however you save your data, Outlook can convert it to this locked format for e-posting.

I wonder if it's linked to the IT industry's drive to make you place all your data on the so-called 'cloud', i.e. the Internet, by default, so they are open to anyone, legal or not, your authority & knowledge or not, with the appropriate software. Playing Devil's Advocate, that makes commercial sense because making your documents and spread-sheets into 'x'-types means you can read but not alter them, perhaps to remove details like home addresses or bank accounts, or to up-date them.

The precaution is obvious: DO NOT save to the 'cloud' (silly name, no technical significance, merely a clumsy attempt to disguise reality).

Am I right to think 'One Drive' is just another name for Internet-held archives? It's interesting to notice that the screen displays highlight One Drive over local options. This post was edited by Durdle at December 11, 2016 3:20 AM MST
      December 9, 2016 5:41 AM MST

First of all Durdle I don't just like your replies. I LOVE them! But there is no "I love it" choice so I'm limited to liking everything all the time even your "thank you Rosie" messages. You're just gonna have to suffer through it m'dear. Apologies if liking your stuff annoys you. That is tongue-in-cheek of course. Everything you wrote is above/beyond my pay grade. I don't really understand the intricacies but I get  the frustration and anger part loud and clear. I get from the gist of it that for nefarious purposes we users are not in control of our stuff. Here's something annoying that keeps happening to me. From time to time I get a message that I am using Adblocker and that I am depriving myself of much good information. Can you believe that they expect me to believe such bullsh**?  It annoys me. I KNOW I'm using Adblocker. Do they think I'm that dumb that I don't? Even worse do they really think they are gonna convince me to do away with it? At least that's in my face.  This stuff behind the scenes whereby what you expect to be able to do is made unavailable/useless to you? How can they get away with that? It seems to me all these companies would make out like bandits by doing things legally and "honorably". Why they have to resort to deceit/trickery is beyond me. Is there any way you could prove their bad motives and actions and sue them? Boy oh boy Caveat Emptor was never more prevalent than it is today and it's getting worse. Thank you for another thoughtful, useful, informative and helpful reply Durdle. There seems to be no safe place where  you can depend on things working as they should. If someone can screw around with you and get away with it be assured he/she will. How sad is that? Happy Sunday! :)
      December 11, 2016 3:32 AM MST

Glis - just looked back at the thread again.

Any idea what that YTSpam thing you quote as a screen-shot, was meant to mean, or where it came from?

It's obviously utter twaddle by someone barely literate - I don't think it's an attempt at English as a second-language - but do you reckon it was meant as a joke or what? Certainly not someone I could trust to write a song of any worth, let alone learn computer programming, even if able to make videos.

Unusually, it looks as if by a Briton, though not necessarily in Britain. How? The spelling of "arse", the British version, not "ass" as in American.

Not sure it's safe to play though.
      December 9, 2016 10:42 AM MST