Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » I think it is always better to be invited over to someone's home than to ask if you can visit. Do you too? Why?

I think it is always better to be invited over to someone's home than to ask if you can visit. Do you too? Why?

Posted - November 28, 2016

Responses

If I didn't get invited. I would never visit anyone...wait, I don't go anywhere.
      November 28, 2016 10:38 AM MST

Hahahahahahahaha! Poor baby! Well I don't either. Jim is a lot more sociable than I am ele. I'm a happy stay-at-homer. He plays golf and tennis weekly with pals. I play "Bespelled". A computer game like Scrabble. It is very addictive and it helps sharpen my brain. I think. I hope. I also "play" Answermug and I "played" Answerbag when it was alive. I've never been a "just drop in" kinda gal. I respect people's privacy and routines and I think just dropping in without notice is rude. Calling and asking if they'll be home for a visit? Not my cuppa tea either unless there is a real purpose to it. I can't think of one offhand. Is your wife sociable?   When we call anyone we always ask "are we interrupting you?" or "is this a good time to chat?" That's why I LOVE emails. No one is ever interrupted. People read and respond at their convenience.  Very polite and respectful.  Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! :)
      November 29, 2016 3:16 AM MST

Better maybe, but not always possible. if you see fire in their house should you wait for an invitation ?
      November 28, 2016 11:04 AM MST

You call the fire department immediately to report the fire. You awaken them if it's late and you see the house on fire.  You don't drop by to visit under those circumstances JakobA. Your example has no relevance to my question. Why would you bring up something like that? Usually you stick to the question I asked and answer it.  Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday.
      November 29, 2016 3:19 AM MST

• Depends who it is.   Some are the type who you can drop in anytime and some don't like that.

Personally I like when people stop by just because they are in the area.  It use to be common when I was younger but now everyone wants to hide in their house.  I think it's weird and isolating.
      November 28, 2016 11:49 AM MST

What if it is  inconvenient for you Glis? What if you have things planned that you need to get accomplished? I think it is disrespectful, even rude, for anyone to assume that his/her presence is welcome at any time. When I phone someone I always ask "Is this a good time for a chat?" or "Am I interrupting you..shall I call back later?" That gives the person wiggle room. Life was much simpler when I was a kid. Even then people didn't just drop by. I  like my privacy to be respected. So I respect yours.  I don't know what kind of personality you have but I need solitude and there are times when I am just not good company so I don't engage with others. There are times when I'm a chatty cathy and enjoy  being sociable. But I like to be the one who calls the shots. I don't appreciate having them imposed on me by others so I don't do that to them. If I'm ill, not feeling well, didn't get a good night's sleep the last thing I want is for someone to drop by for a chat. Thank you for your reply! :) This post was edited by RosieG at November 29, 2016 3:26 AM MST
      November 29, 2016 3:25 AM MST

• I just tell them I am busy. 
    I know what your saying.  I'm quite solitary and private myself. 
      November 29, 2016 7:28 AM MST

• No. I impose myself on people. This is a gift and blessing to them.  Of course I leave when the food and ale run out.
      November 28, 2016 2:00 PM MST

You're probably a charmer then whistle. If you drop by unannounced and they feed you and ply you with drinks clearly your presence is pleasing to them. If you show up and they don't even offer you a drink of water you might get the hint and leave early. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday!  :)
      November 29, 2016 3:28 AM MST