Active Now

Element 99
Zack
Danilo_G
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Willpower: Is yours strong and do you know if you were put on a schedule as a baby? (Answers about your own kids are welcome as well.)

Willpower: Is yours strong and do you know if you were put on a schedule as a baby? (Answers about your own kids are welcome as well.)

I was talking with another member who hypothesized that maybe willpower is related to the "training" a person receives as a baby or toddler (feeding schedules and such) and that those who are put on a schedule are more prone to have greater willpower because they've been taught to wait from an early age. I think it's probably the opposite... that people who had less rigid parents in terms of feeding schedules and such learned that their needs will be fulfilled- that it shapes their view of fairness, so they're more willing to wait for things. Do you have any real-life experiences that might suggest willpower is related to "training" as a small child/ baby?

Posted - December 7, 2016

Responses

• Nope, but it does pique my interest.  I can see valid arguments for both hypothesis.
    Both my true just in different contexts. One may teach to accept things as they are and will through it.(good things come to those who can wait) While the other may create more will power to be stubborn and demanding.( I use my willpower to demand  what I want) IDK.
      December 7, 2016 10:38 AM MST

I was strong enough to quit smoking cold turkey after 25 years, but not strong enough not to graze in the fridge every couple of hours when I'm home. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at December 7, 2016 5:27 PM MST
      December 7, 2016 1:32 PM MST

Interesting question.  I don't know if my parents had me on a feeding schedule or not as a baby or toddler.  I do know that my mother had a schedule for dinner that she stuck to as I became older.
    I have quit smoking after smoking for over 30 years.  I am strong willed when something is important to me.  It will be a year December 31st that I quit smoking.  I have NO urge to start again.  My health is more important.
      December 7, 2016 2:26 PM MST

Congratulations on your milestone! 
      December 7, 2016 5:28 PM MST

Thanks JA.  :)
      December 8, 2016 9:25 AM MST

I would be hesitant to draw any inferences about "willpower" without some operational definitions and some control for context.

For example, the collective "willpower" of a nation goes up in times of war, when people are willing to tolerate impositions on their liberty and economic well-being they would never tolerate under any other circumstances.

Similarly, when I recently helped my mother recover from hip surgery, I endured physical and emotional stress which nearly hospitalized me. For my mother, I was willing to do it. If an employer asked me to endure similar hardships (arguably, one of my employers did so without asking my permission) just to make a few extra bucks, I'd tell my boss to go Cheney himself.

So, when we speak of "willpower", we need to specify precisely what it is and what's beneficial about it. Otherwise, it devolves into a variant of authoritarian shaming ("You need to do what we tell you to...because we tell you to.")
      December 7, 2016 3:32 PM MST

I realize it's unscientific and even if it appeared the two were related in some way, it would by no means be a scientific experiment... just addressing a curiosity. 

At the same time, I think everyone here did a fair job of addressing your final point, including yourself. You took care of your mom out of willpower, but others in similar circumstances may not have been able to do what you did, despite wanting to. I was in the same boat with my mom. I wound up with pneumonia while caring for her because I didn't sleep at all, got a cold, and didn't get treatment when I needed it, but I kept on. My healthy brother lasted just a few days with her. lol It's not easy. (Tips hat to you.)

Two people here mentioned smoking- another prime example. Something like half of all smokers try to quit every year, but very few actually do. Willpower is enough to see some people through. Others need tools. Others just don't make it regardless. These are all good measures of willpower. I think people can assess their willpower in the context I was thinking of on their own fairly well.
      December 7, 2016 5:38 PM MST

@JA -- This question has pushed a lot of my psychology-related "hot buttons," but I will do my best to stay off my soapbox.

What I will do is quote developmental psychologist Alison Gopnik (UC Berkeley) on parenting (from an essay in the book What Should We Be Worried About).
    "[Contemporary US] parenting worries focus on relatively small variations in what parents do -- co-sleeping, or crying it out, playing iwth one kind of toy rather than another, more homework or les. There is very little evidence any of this makes much difference to the way children turn out in the long run. Nor does there seem to be any magic formula for making one well-loved and financially supported child any smarter or happier or more successful as an adult than another."

Given what Gopnik (and other developmental psychologists) have observed over the past several decades, I think any association between willpower and infant feeding schedules would be difficult to extract from the huge amount of noise generated by other factors influencing child development. This post was edited by OldSchoolTheSKOSlives at December 8, 2016 9:35 AM MST
      December 7, 2016 9:49 PM MST

Gopnik largely focuses on how babies learn, not necessarily how they adapt to their environments. Ergo, baby training and a million other things may not make a difference in a child's cognitive abilities. She also takes the stance that humans are created to be diverse as part of our evolutionary makeup- that diversity is essential for the survival of the species. So, her take is mostly that kids need active adults in their lives and that variations in cognitive ability can generally be blamed on genetics. The majority of her work argues against the concept that cry-it-out methods cause brain damage. (That's the shortened version of it, anyway.) So, I don't think her opinion is relevant as it relates to willpower and/or resilience. Brilliant people can have no willpower at all and vice versa. I see no correlation there at all. You've taken her quote out of context. 

There are loads of studies that look into early stresses. (I think it's fair to say that a baby left to cry alone is undeniably stressed.) Some bodies of research says this is a form of inoculation against later stresses. That, if mild enough, teaches babies how to self-regulate later. Here's one of those studies: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4736400/

There is also a ton of research that suggests early stress hampers cognitive abilities and results in the genes that help us manage stresses remaining shut off. There's about 100 links in this article: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/moral-landscapes/201112/dangers-crying-it-out

Of course there are a lot of factors that influence a person's abilities. Genetics, epigenetics, environment, etc... Does that mean we shouldn't bother trying to isolate triggers and behaviors to see which ones correlate? When you have enough data, a bigger picture begins to emerge that helps identify which things are actually related. We can't get this kind of data here on the Mug, but there's no harm in pondering the what-ifs. 

December 8, 2016 9:58 AM MST

@JA -- Thank you for your reply (and the links). I had no idea you were familiar with Gopnik or this well-versed in developmental psychology research.

If more people asked questions on the Mug with similar levels of background knowledge, we'd have some really interesting dicussions.

I suspect at the core we are 90%+ in agreement. My comments/criticisms were directed at an implied framework for the question which didn't actually exist. I can only plead that many Muggers ask somewhat similar questions based upon clearly limited or inaccurate background knowledge, and I based my replies on that, not realizing you know your stuff in this area.

I am still reluctant to speculate on any correlation between feeding schedules and subsequent development of "willpower" for the reasons I previously cited, but I now better understand why you think the question is worth asking.

December 8, 2016 10:23 AM MST