Active Now

Spunky
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Sports » Playoffs? Are you kidding me? Playoffs?

Playoffs? Are you kidding me? Playoffs?

Posted - December 8, 2016

Responses

• The sooner the better if you ask me.   I loath  having to hear people talking  about football all the time at the local dives.  It's sooooo boring.
      December 8, 2016 11:46 AM MST

So you agree with Jim Mora about this?....;-D....
      December 8, 2016 12:01 PM MST

• I guess so.   I'd agree more if he said the NFL has turned into the WWE.

To be honest,  there really isn't any good  play in  any pro sports anymore IMHO.  It's all lawyer ball these days and guys scared to get hurt.  Basketball and Football have especially gotten bad in the past 15-20 years. Hockey is starting to get there too.
      December 8, 2016 12:06 PM MST

You left out part of your rant.

Fixed it for you!...;-D...
      December 8, 2016 12:11 PM MST

• Actually I just said that for your benefit. Mostly just bait. :) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 8, 2016 12:23 PM MST
      December 8, 2016 12:15 PM MST

@Glis -- I am being dismissive because you spouted off one of the oldest and dumbest assertions about sports: "Players these days suck/are a bunch of f***ing p*ssies compared to players of My Favorite Era."

By any measurable standards, professional sportsmen today are larger, faster, more explosive, better trained, better coached, better fed, have better medical care, etc. than in any time in professional sports history.

Remember when William "The Refrigerator" Perry was a minor celebrity because he was unusually big for a football player? Nowadays, he'd be an average-size lineman out of the league because he's too slow to keep up with other similar-sized lineman who are much quicker.

In baseball, the average speed of pitches keeps going up and up.

In basketball, shooting percentages are near an all-time high and this year the league is seeing an explosin of tremendous offensive production not seen since the 1960s (when teams took shots much more quickly, resulting in about 20% more possessions than the modern game).

One of the consequences of the bigger-faster-stronger athletes in modern sports is injuries, when they happen, can be more severe. A running back being tackled by a 310 lb sculpted specimen is different from a running back being tackled by a 240-lb man with 12% body fat who moves 15% slower than the aforementioned specimen. Energy of collision is proportional to mass times the square of the velocity, and both mass and velocity have been steadily rising for decades. Human bones and connective tissues can only take so much punishment, and the bones/tissues of professional athletes take much more punishment in the current era than in the past.

Now, maybe you preferred the style of play in various sports in previous eras. Maybe "3 yards and a cloud of dust" football was to your liking. Maybe you reveled in the NBA's Pro Wrestling era when scores were 79-74 and isolation scorers dominated. Maybe you liked baseball games that ended 8-7 because managers left their 4th-best starting pitchers in for 8 innings no matter what, instead of bringing in endless streams of relief pitchers with 95 mph fastballs.

If so, that's your right. That's a taste-based preference and their is no "right" answer to questions of taste-based preference.

But you made assertions about the quality of play and character/skill/toughness of players which are simply unsupported (and commonly the kind of assertions older people make about how everything was better Back in the Day).

December 8, 2016 12:48 PM MST

• Pin Fish Hooks Memes on PinterestOh SKOS I really do like you and respect you though. Sorry man but I couldn't help myself.
      December 8, 2016 1:19 PM MST

@Glis -- Yes, I have this problem that I take people at their word. Especially on the Internet where subtle sarcasm is not always obvious.

If it make you happy to exploit my gullibility...oh, well. Not much I can do about it. This post was edited by OldSchoolTheSKOSlives at December 8, 2016 1:30 PM MST
      December 8, 2016 1:23 PM MST

• Hey, it pulls good posts out of people sometimes.
    Case-in-point.   Your previous comment.
      December 8, 2016 1:32 PM MST

Old School, you could be an amazing Sports Therapist.   You know that hard stuff. 
      December 8, 2016 2:04 PM MST

This happened 5 years ago.  You cannot fool me.   The only thing my brother is good for.  He knows this stuff. 
      December 8, 2016 1:16 PM MST

@Sharonna -- Actually, the Jim Mora rant is from 2001.
      December 8, 2016 1:23 PM MST

Finals. finals!
      December 8, 2016 2:38 PM MST

• All I know is how it is around these parts...
      December 8, 2016 2:49 PM MST

Go Pack Go

December 8, 2016 3:03 PM MST