Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Does ANYBODY believe that a device that shines light on your owee, or one that shocks your muscles, can QUELL pain???

Does ANYBODY believe that a device that shines light on your owee, or one that shocks your muscles, can QUELL pain???

Posted - December 9, 2016

Responses

• I avoid 'beliefs' on certain things.  This would be one of them.  If evidence is there I'm happy to see it, but otherwise, count me out.
      December 9, 2016 10:06 AM MST

Pain is a curious phenomenon, because it is a neural INTERPRETATION of nerve signals (or, sometimes, the absence of nerve signals, as in "phantom limb" pain).

While I am skeptical of ANY medical procedure which hasn't been subjected to fairly rigorous testing (because the placebo effect is SO powerful), I won't dismiss the possibility of light or electrical stimuli altering how our brain interprets nerve signals and generates the experience of pain.
      December 9, 2016 10:38 AM MST

I'd say it might.

Light and electrical stimulation are all forms of energy; and we humans normally react to external applications of energy to our bodies.

I can think of ways it might work.
      December 9, 2016 10:57 AM MST