Active Now

Randy D
Spunky
Shuhak
Zack
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » "To know him is to love him". Not true. I've heard that before and from personal experience found out it's a lie. Have you too? How?

"To know him is to love him". Not true. I've heard that before and from personal experience found out it's a lie. Have you too? How?

Years ago a work friend (San Diego office location) named Lorraine wanted me to meet a friend of hers. She thought we'd hit if off and get along really well. I worked in the L.A. office but had visited Lorraine and spent time with her and her husband at their home in San Diego and we became good friends. So I drove 50 miles to Laguna Beach from LA and her friend drove 50 miles from San Diego to Laguna Beach. At the time there was a restaurant there called the Victor Hugo Inn. We met and had an early dinner. It was strained and uncomfortable for both of us. We had nothing in common. We had chatted on the phone prior to the meeting and said we might get rooms at the  Inn for the night and spend time the next day just walking around Laguna Beach and visiting the shops together. Well. We didn't.  I drove back to L.A. after dinner and she drove back to San Diego. When our mutual friend Lorraine asked how it went I told her the truth. Gently. She said she couldn't figure out why we didn't hit it off. Well I dunno but it was very unpleasant for both of us. Did you ever have an experience like that?

Posted - December 10, 2016

Responses

Blind dates are risky since they rely on the better judgment of others who think they know you well which often is not the case. In my experience it is usually a friend trying to help out a 2nd friend at the expense of a third.
      December 10, 2016 9:07 AM MST

It wasn't a "blind date". We were two straight gals whose mutual friend thought we'd hit it off. We didn't! Thank you for  your reply O and Happy Saturday! :)
      December 10, 2016 10:33 AM MST