Active Now

Zack
Discussion » Questions » answerMug » Is this a "social media" site or a "Q & A" site? What's the difference?

Is this a "social media" site or a "Q & A" site? What's the difference?

Hello:

Are you allowed to hook up on a Q & A site??  Can you ask serious questions on a Social Media site?  Are there RULES about that?

excon

Posted - December 12, 2016

Responses

• I would see it as a Forum because of all the special groups you can join and debate or discuss things. Most Q&A sites will do their best to stop people from "hooking up" as you say. That's what private messages are for. This, being a Forum format makes it a Q&A and a Social media site. Most of the better ones are now.
      December 12, 2016 8:52 AM MST

• One could say that a "Q&A" site is a variety of social media site. I do tend to think of vapid sites like Tumblr, Vine, and Twitter as "social media", but that doesn't mean this couldn't count as such as well. It's a site intended primarily for interaction between users, so in that sense, it is "social". 
      December 12, 2016 9:22 AM MST

• Personally I come to a Q&A site to debate... discuss.. learn.. and inform.. Dating sites are for hooking up and social media is for being light and fluffy.. there's probably no hard and fast rules but general expectations.
      December 12, 2016 10:47 AM MST

• It's a type of social media site. So is facebook, Youtube, Twitter,  Yahoo Answers, any thread or forum site, etc.

When you are on a site that is meant to post content you create or share to other people,  you're using social media.

December 12, 2016 11:42 AM MST