Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
Danilo_G
my2cents
Randy D
Thebigd
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Environment » Which phrase do you prefer....

Which phrase do you prefer....

global warming or climate change? Is there a difference?

Posted - December 14, 2016

Responses

• I think people put their own meanings on whatever phrase is used ... For me global warming  had more of a man made aspect ... But that's just me and my thoughts
      December 14, 2016 5:18 AM MST

• That seems to be the general rule. :)
      December 15, 2016 9:28 AM MST

Global Warming makes some of those denying a change taking that word literally. Climate change however not. However, everything change over time and isn't necessarily a warning. I don't know if we can find a better word, I'd think the science have been given it thoughts all along but not come up with anyone better.
      December 14, 2016 6:41 AM MST

• I honestly think it's a natural occurrence. The planet has gone through extreme changes since the beginning, and will continue to do so. Not sure if we have helped it along or not, I'm still kinda on the fence about that one. :) There is no concrete proof if we have escalated it or if it is just doing what it's going to do.
      December 15, 2016 9:30 AM MST

I think by reading the reports there is no doubt we have escalated it. The other times the Earth was going through extreme climate changes was also by external triggers. I believe denial is a pleasant way to stay unconcerned and making ourselves an alibi not to think more about it. It's no hoax.
      December 15, 2016 9:33 AM MST

• I believe it's happening, there is no denying that. I just wonder how much we contributed to it. We have had quite an increase in volcanic eruptions in the last few decades and I think that could have helped it along as well. Maybe it's just a big cauldron mix of everything. I'm pretty sure we have our fingerprints on it though, just to what extent?    
      December 15, 2016 9:49 AM MST

• This old nonsense again?  Really?

Information here.

https://skepticalscience.com/climate-change-global-warming-basic.html
      December 14, 2016 6:47 AM MST

• How is asking which term you prefer nonsense? I haven't denied or proclaimed anything in my question. 
      December 15, 2016 9:31 AM MST

• Your question includes the word, 'choose'.  This implies similarity, or that a comparison can be made between the two terms.  This is not the case, since while they are associated terms, they are still fundamentally different things.

In order to avoid the kind of nonsense propagated by Jim inhofe, we need to accept the fact they are different and distinguish between the two.  This in turn means not treating them as the same things, or trying to construct a fallacious argument (see the previously mentioned Senator), the only purpose of which is to slow the acceptance of reality and make as much money as possible in the meantime.
      December 15, 2016 10:43 AM MST

• The word 'choose' is nowhere in my question. "

Which phrase do you prefer....

global warming or climate change? Is there a difference?"

I've heard some people use both terms and I've heard people argue over which is correct. 

December 16, 2016 4:47 AM MST

• The word 'prefer' is defined as making a choice.  Therefore the question invites a choice between two phrases, implying that they are fundamentally similar.  They are not.
      December 17, 2016 5:05 AM MST

• The question is asking which phrase you prescribe to. If you read my comments on here, you can see I know the difference, I'm just asking which one you guys prefer to use. Some think it's global warming (caused by man), some think it's climate change (a natural progression). Nowhere did I imply the two phrases are the same. The only similarity is in the fact that things are changing whether man had a hand in it or not.  
      December 17, 2016 6:50 AM MST

Climate change is a term that has been used for many years to describe normal changes in Earth's climate.  Many people have been familiar with this term for their whole lives.  When people would not go for "Global Warming" as opposed to normal Climate Change, the Global Warming folks hijacked the term.  So now the media uses Climate Change but they are talking about so-called global warming.  Scientists who have been talking about Climate Change for years, still are.  
      December 14, 2016 12:44 PM MST

• That sounds about right. People argue over which term is appropriate and I just find that a bit silly.  
      December 15, 2016 9:32 AM MST

The point I was trying to make is that the global warming media proponents changed the name of global warming to climate change. This is their MO:  If we can't make you believe in Bill because you believe in Jack, we'll just call Bill Jack and the idiot masses will never know the difference. 
      December 15, 2016 9:39 AM MST

• Right. I see what you are saying now. They do have a tendency to change the narrative. 
      December 15, 2016 9:50 AM MST

For me, personally, climate change is something that occurs naturally over time.  The Earth has been cooling and warming for millenia.  Global warming intimates more of a man-made problem which can be curtailed up to a point, but unless we want to go way back to before the industrial revolution, it is something we will have to live with.
      December 14, 2016 2:27 PM MST

• Some find the two terms interchangeable, some argue over which is correct. I think they should come together and find the true facts about what is or is not going on.
      December 15, 2016 9:38 AM MST

I personally don't find them to be interchangeable and, as with many other things, there are those who believe global warming and climate change to be a hoax and others who don't.  If the polar ice caps are melting and the earth's temperature has been warming even by a degree or two, it would seem that global warming is not in dispute.  The dispute is whether it is being caused by humans.
      December 15, 2016 6:53 PM MST

• We all know what "global warming" means (i.e. man-made climate change), but it is bad idea to use this term because mouth-breathers can say "BUT IT'S SNOWING IT'S A HOAX". To eliminate that smug ignorance, I promise the initialism "MMCC". 
      December 14, 2016 10:55 PM MST

• People argue over the slightest little things. People can find a thousand ways to claim their arguments. 
      December 15, 2016 9:44 AM MST

Here's NASA's explanation of what each means.

It's for grades 5-8 and it's pretty basic:

https://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/5-8/features/nasa-knows/what-is-climate-change-58.html
      December 15, 2016 10:55 AM MST

• Thank you. That was pretty interesting. 
      December 16, 2016 4:50 AM MST

Climate change is more cautious and more inclusive of all effects, so rather more scientific.
    Global warming cannot really mean much other than what it says.
    However, the latter carries a higher emotional charge, useful to politicians and pundits.
      December 24, 2016 6:57 PM MST