Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Holidays » How long after Christmas do you leave your decorations up?

How long after Christmas do you leave your decorations up?

Posted - December 15, 2016

Responses

I only have a Nativity and I leave it up until the end of Christmastide.  When I had kids at home I took the Christmas tree down Christmas night or the next day.  But I always kept the Nativity out until Epiphany. 
      December 15, 2016 10:59 AM MST

• That's neat. I didn't even put a big tree up this year. I bought a little one last year that we have set on a table in the living room. I'm giving my big tree to my friend. She has one daughter and two grandkids living with her and they don't have a tree, and don't have the means to buy one this year. 
      December 16, 2016 5:10 AM MST

I hope you know that you make a positive impact on people.  You always try to help people and don't complain when you have plenty of reason to.  Strong woman.   I want to be like you when I grow up.  :)

Merry Christmas, Karen This post was edited by Thriftymaid at December 16, 2016 1:30 PM MST
      December 16, 2016 1:28 PM MST

• We leave most things out until New Year's. That's always been the tradition since I was a kid. 
      December 15, 2016 11:05 AM MST

• We did that when I was a kid. Mom said it was bad luck to take it down before new years.......not sure if it really is or not though. :)
      December 16, 2016 5:11 AM MST

When I was a child, it was taken down after the epiphany.

Now we tend to take it down sooner after Christmas Day.  (Most grandchildren are adults; latest one is a year.)

During one very hectic year a long time ago, I kidded my wife about renaming it The Easter Tree since it was still up.
      December 15, 2016 11:05 AM MST

• I saw something somewhere once about a lady who kept hers up all year round. She would decorate it for whatever holiday was current. 
      December 16, 2016 5:12 AM MST

The woman who was my next door neighbor for many years had a four foot tree decorated beautifully.  After Christmas her son would come over and take it, fully decorated, to her basement and put a sheet over it.  The next year he would bring it back to the living room where it stayed until she called on him to remove it again.  Her basement was finished beautifully as a studio apartment.  It flooded one time and I think she worried most about her tree.  I miss her.

This post was edited by Thriftymaid at December 16, 2016 1:37 PM MST
      December 16, 2016 1:36 PM MST

• I leave it up for the entire twelve days of Yule.
      December 15, 2016 11:27 AM MST

• I usually tried to take mine down before New Years......please note the word 'tried' :)
      December 16, 2016 5:13 AM MST

• I keep them up until people get tired of them. I'm one of those who would leave them up all year long.
      December 16, 2016 8:33 AM MST

• I can't (read don't want to) believe that this is only confined to these funny little shores but there are persons here (they get on the news) who have their decorations up all year round, eat Christmas dinner everyday ('tis true) and other related things 365 days of it.
    That is dedication. (I think it's a lovely image, you and your twinkly lights. Twinkling).
      December 16, 2016 9:53 AM MST

• I don't know about the dinner thing, but the lights, they are just happy looking. Why can't I just have them as, you know? lights.
    Anyway, im sure your tree is perfect.
      December 16, 2016 8:38 PM MST

• Of course it is! I'll show you.
    Why can't you have the lights. I have some in my kitchen which dangle all year and you should too.
      December 17, 2016 5:03 AM MST

• I only got my festive bush (a term coined by a friend of mine) up today. I feel I've been slacking.
      December 16, 2016 9:55 AM MST

The first year my husband and I were married we were dirt poor college students.  We cut a bush down from the side of a highway and took it home and put some balls on it that someone gave us.  We did 't have lights so we put a lamp on the floor behind it.  That was our Christmas bush.  What a wonderful memory.  Yours will be too.
      December 16, 2016 1:42 PM MST

• Thank you, Thrifty and fellow Christmas busher. Your reply made me smile.
      December 17, 2016 5:06 AM MST

January 2.  Down they come. 
      December 16, 2016 9:58 AM MST

• Same here. January is no time to be festive.
      December 16, 2016 10:29 AM MST

I am festive every day.  But January is a new festive.  We have a new year.  (with Donald Trump)   Maybe you are right.
      December 16, 2016 10:31 AM MST

At least until after New Year's Day.
      December 16, 2016 11:00 AM MST