Active Now

Danilo_G
Spunky
Shuhak
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » Swell! 1 in 10 airline pilots MAY suffer from depression with a small percentage experiencing suicidal thoughts. Are you a frequent flier?

Swell! 1 in 10 airline pilots MAY suffer from depression with a small percentage experiencing suicidal thoughts. Are you a frequent flier?

That is based on the results of an online survey  published online December 14  in the journal Environment Health. Pilots don't seek help because they fear doing so would jeopardize their jobs. So they suffer in silence. I wonder how many other professions have the same problem? Folks needing help but afraid to seek it?

Posted - December 16, 2016

Responses

Why are they depressed? They seem to have an in-demand stable job with what could be considered early retirement with a great benefits package. I guess the schedule can be demanding. I would think truck drivers would be more depressed. Or retail workers.
      December 16, 2016 7:30 AM MST

That well may be Mr.B. The stats were only about airline pilots.  I think truck drivers and retail workers would be more likely to seek help though. Pilots are responsible for the lives of others and therefore would not want to be labeled/tainted by anything that would jeopardize their ability to earn a living being a commercial airline pilot. . Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday! I believe there is a mandatory retirement age and perhaps that might come into play.
      December 17, 2016 5:19 AM MST

No I'm not and I'm glad.
      December 16, 2016 12:16 PM MST

Me too MaCC. There have been several "unexplained" accidents involving pilots. They crash the plane and no one ever knows why. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday! :)
      December 17, 2016 4:39 AM MST