Active Now

Thebigd
Element 99
DannyPetti
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » In your opinion is a just and well functioning society based on equality of oppertunity or equality of outcome?

In your opinion is a just and well functioning society based on equality of oppertunity or equality of outcome?

Please explain why.

Posted - December 16, 2016

Responses

Hello Glis:

One is the view held by liberals, and the other is just nonsense..

Why???  I have NO idea why right wingers are so wrong.

excon
      December 16, 2016 4:16 PM MST

• Equality based of outcome is kinda nonsense. 
    Erudite as ever. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 17, 2016 1:47 AM MST
      December 17, 2016 1:39 AM MST

I don't believe either is truly possible, but to the extent possible, equality of opportunity.  By that I mean no artificial barriers created, but also no artificial gateways opened.  There will always be those among us, though, who no amount of opportunity will benefit, and I do not think we can have a "just and well-functioning" society without caring for them, so a certain amount of guaranteed outcome does come into play.   
      December 16, 2016 4:24 PM MST

• Thanks for a thought out answer Boz.
      December 17, 2016 1:40 AM MST

• That depends to a great extent on the definitions one gives both these terms.  To an extent, a mixture would be ideal, but that statement only has a validity in my own head because nobody else has any clue what I mean by it.

To push for either overmuch would be a mistake.  That goes for pushing for one of the options to the exclusion of anything else.

Taken literally both are meaningless, since they are not achievable in our current societies.  Opportunity is never equal in any society where inequality or even difference exists.  Outcome cannot be equal unless we are ourselves equal in every way, which is simply silly.

But people should be rewarded for their efforts, work and innovation, and nobody should be left with such bad outcomes that they lack the basics - roof, food, clothes, etc.  So I would say we need both, in varying degrees of moderation.
      December 16, 2016 4:25 PM MST

• Good points. Neither may be fully possible as an end game result but what a society strives for.
      December 17, 2016 1:44 AM MST

• It's nothing like objective, but the best word I can think of is, 'balance'.

Something we certainly don't have currently.  As to how you get this 'balance', that generates a whole raft of questions all by itself.  :)
      December 17, 2016 4:54 AM MST

• An important question often does result in more questions.
      December 17, 2016 7:57 AM MST

If you find a society like that (just and well-functioning), please tell me where it is!!

I agree with Bozette, and Mr. Witch. They both make excellent points! I try not to think too much about how unjust our society is...it's such a downer.
      December 16, 2016 7:15 PM MST

• A mixture of both.
    The whole society needs to be structured for equal opportunity in education, work, and public access.
    This needs to be effectively supported by law.
    As time goes by, this equality becomes commonly accepted and normal. Differences in origins gradually become less significant.

But some people have equal need but are born with disadvantages which prevent them from making use of equal opportunity - such disabilities of mind or body, or results of accidents or diseases.
    People will have phases during their lives when they are dependent, and some will not have family or loved ones for support, so society needs a means to ensure that those people don't miss out on the basics necessary for survival or the opportunities to recover from setbacks.
      December 16, 2016 9:36 PM MST