Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Language » What the dickens is "vinger", and is it pronounced to rhyme with "ginger", or does it rhyme with "finger"?
Bez

What the dickens is "vinger", and is it pronounced to rhyme with "ginger", or does it rhyme with "finger"?

Posted - December 23, 2016

Responses

It's the word for finger in Danish and Dutch. Sounds like venya. 
      December 23, 2016 6:35 PM MST

Thank you, Marguerite. I didn't know that. :)
      December 23, 2016 6:38 PM MST

Sorry Marguerite, I dont know about Dutch, but in Danish the word for "finger" is exactly the same "finger". We dont pronounce it the same way though. This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at December 23, 2016 6:54 PM MST
      December 23, 2016 6:51 PM MST

Could it be the word you heard is "Winger" :)

It started in early airplane days. fighter planes would often fly in a Wing formation With the ranking officer  in front and the 'lesser' pilots flying on either side and progressively further back (Geese usually form such wings too). The benefits of doing this (for pilots as well as geese) is that everybody other than the leader just need to keep an eye on the flyer in front and too one side of him, and maintain that position and that is a lot easier than navigating and reading every air-current himself.
    A Fighter Wing
    The pilots on either side of the leader were called his "wing men" and those a bit further back were their wing men (just one for each) etc.
    Even today we often call a squad of fighter planes a Wing.

But language changes and in popular use "wing man" became "winger" (a person assisting 'his leader')

December 23, 2016 6:47 PM MST

• You're not thinking of vinegar are you?
      December 23, 2016 8:25 PM MST

• Well, without looking it up, I would say, neither. I would say it rhymes with dinger.  Just my call on it.
      December 23, 2016 10:01 PM MST