Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » I am told it is a myth Gays try to convert. Do you have any personal experiences that make myth, reality?

I am told it is a myth Gays try to convert. Do you have any personal experiences that make myth, reality?

Posted - December 25, 2016

Responses

• It sounds like right-wing "family values" fear-mongering to me. Some arrogant gay people probably think they can make straight people attracted to them, though.
      December 25, 2016 3:40 PM MST

• That's a tricky one.
    From my son being gay, I have been interacting with "the gays" for a long time now, and been to places where no straight man has ever been before. And I must say that I have come across some very insisting types. There is also, and this is my experience, I have heard it many many times and seen it, the perception among many that with enough alcohol or weed, they can make any body go gay. 
    Although, I don't see this much different from Men that think the same way about lesbians, and their capacity to convert them, either forcefully, with drugs or alcohol, or with the perceived infallibility of their phallic superpowers.
    Looking at the word converting in this way, maybe. 
    But, to say that this equates to a National Agenda of Gayfication, is plain ridiculous. Where are the new gays  supposed to come from if they were to succeed?
    (The last bit is suppose to be a joke) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 26, 2016 8:44 PM MST
      December 26, 2016 6:18 AM MST

• Hello Lago.. i was interested to read your response and found it thought provoking.. but one thing occurred to me immediately... and i wondered whether you had considered this....

You say you were visiting places NO straight man has been.. and while you were there.. and/or while you were hanging around predominantly gay crowds, you encountered insistent types... don't you think it was perhaps a case of mistaken identity.. in that you were in places where pretty much only gays were soooooo maybe they could be forgiven for thinking you were *fair game*?   

This is kinda what i referred to in another post.. while as a hetro one could assume that most of the time someone of the opposite sex is also hetro, you cannot make that assumption with same sex.. as a lesbian you have NO idea when you approach women whether they are bi or lesbian, people don't wear labels saying I am gay.. so while I am sure you are utterly gorgeous and ravishing to women, the people you were around being gay may well have thought you were there because you were also gay; and that's why they were *interested*
      December 26, 2016 12:16 PM MST

• Of course Day, of course. Im not making my comment in a derogatory fashion whatsoever. More like a matter of fact kind of thing. It is what it is. I never took offense to it. That would be silly. Plus I remember not ever having to pay for anything, which was pretty alright. )
      December 26, 2016 3:37 PM MST

• Aren't you just trying to justify Nevans point by saying that "they were probably not straight to beginning with"? As if saying , well it's ok to do that, they probably wanted it anyway. That's sounds pretty close to the attitude some men carry about lesbians. Do you not think so? 
      December 28, 2016 8:36 AM MST

This.
      December 25, 2016 4:32 PM MST

• Pursue is a truck load different than convert. Convert augers (at least to me) some kind of brain-washing into one side being wrong, and this side is right. There is no right or wrong here. Sometimes the heart takes you someplace you know you shouldn't go, doesn't matter the dynamics of the sexuality, otherwise we'd all be living happily ever after with our childhood sweethearts. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 26, 2016 1:12 PM MST
      December 26, 2016 12:26 PM MST

• Sometimes those with extreme fear of homosexuality fear that a gay man will try to convert them.  They have this irrational fear that any gay man wants them.. not true.

I think it's easier to make a mistake tho.. if you are gay, you don't exactly know which men are or are not into men... it's so much easier as a woman to assume most men are straight.. but as a gay man you just don't know which men are and are not.. people don't exactly have labels... 

All you have to say is no thank you.
      December 25, 2016 3:56 PM MST

Kinsey looked at this, and found the 100% straight and 100% gay is quite rare. Most people are inbetween.
    ref: Kinsey Scale

With the huge amounts of controversy and propaganda about homosexuality; it is obvious that many gay people (believing the propaganda) will try to be staighter than they naturally are. I dont know if that qualifies as 'converting' by your rules ;-))

There is a lot less pressure to become gay so I dont think many people 'convert' towards that.
      December 25, 2016 10:04 PM MST

• Kinsey was a charlaton and his work was full of holes and disregard for scientific methods.   He manipulated the data was manipulated for his intended results.   None of Kinsey's work or research is of any value as he didn't conduct proper research or methods.   He's been highly discredited by the vast majority of others in his fields. 

Just sayin'.
      December 26, 2016 12:36 PM MST

His scientific methods might be questionable, but I think his idea of looking at heterosexual and homosexuality as a scale with two poles isn't that bad a way looking at it. Btw, I'm a five on his scale which might be representative for my sexuality. Anyway it's hard to put us into fixed boxes, and will be more complex than that. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 26, 2016 2:02 PM MST
      December 26, 2016 1:44 PM MST

• Even a broken clock is right twice a day.   Kinsey did much more damage than good though in understanding human sexuality IMHO.
      December 26, 2016 2:03 PM MST

Haven't studied him much besides being presented to his scale.
      December 26, 2016 2:07 PM MST

• A 5, eh?

Are you just teasing us again?
      December 26, 2016 2:25 PM MST

I doubt I'll ever get the six as I've been with men in my life. But what do I know? It's a scale. Btw, I love teasing you guys. Is that anti-converting? Oomph.
      December 26, 2016 2:32 PM MST

• It's alright.   Secretly we love being teased.
      December 26, 2016 2:36 PM MST

I figured. I am a good girl. Told you. Now can I have my Skittles?
      December 26, 2016 2:41 PM MST

You're gay, aren't you?
      December 26, 2016 5:25 AM MST