Active Now

Element 99
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Is it possible to program a robot to be fair? Can a programmer use an unbiased set of parameters that would govern any decisions/conclusions the robots reached? How do you program FAIR/UNBIASED?

Is it possible to program a robot to be fair? Can a programmer use an unbiased set of parameters that would govern any decisions/conclusions the robots reached? How do you program FAIR/UNBIASED?

Posted - July 7, 2016

Responses

• I'm sure you've read Isaac Asimov's "I, Robot" series. :)

July 8, 2016 10:46 PM MDT

• The robot demonstrated as much fair and unbiased decision making as the shooter it took out. The robot was more unbiased when you take time to think about it. The shooter made it more than clear where his bigoted and ruthless sympathies were prior to the shooting. A pat on the back to the authorities in Dallas for their handling of the killer.

July 9, 2016 8:09 PM MDT

What?

The device used in Dallas was nothing more than a remote control vehicle designed for dealing with potential bombs at a distance. It was under direct control of the Dallas police department at all times. They decided to arm it with an explosive device, to send it within range of the perpetrator and to detonate the explosive device to wound or kill that perpetrator when all other tactics failed. There was no decision making on the part of that vehicle.

July 9, 2016 8:17 PM MDT
  • Bez

As far as I know it is possible to programme a robot to do anything, so I think that would include programming it to be fair. I don't see why not.

July 9, 2016 8:20 PM MDT

You know what I don't understand Polk? The shooter wanted to take out white cops because of his rage about the two black men that were murdered by white cops. BUT the Dallas Police Department has been a model of how well the police and the community can work together. When the police chief took over he FIRED 70 cops who were not up to his standards. Why would the shooter take out cops in a city where the police department and the community were working together toward the same goals and had a very cordial relationship? I don't get it. Thank you for your reply! :)

July 10, 2016 2:01 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply AndyB and Happy Sunday to thee! :)

July 10, 2016 2:02 AM MDT

I saw the movie with Will Smith. Scary as he **. I did not read the Asimov series. Thank you for your answer hartfire! :)

July 15, 2016 4:31 AM MDT

• Since you love sci-fi, I recommend the Foundation Series.

It ranks among the top in the world in the genre.

It explores the issues in your question with depth and breadth.

July 15, 2016 5:59 AM MDT

I shall do so hartfire. Thank you. :)

July 16, 2016 6:11 AM MDT

Actually I didn't have the Dallas robot in mind at all when I asked  the question. I just wonder if a robot can be programmed to be totally unbiased., Thank you for your reply Polk! :)

July 16, 2016 6:12 AM MDT