Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » BET. Before Electronic Thingies. Will we ever be able to go back to the day when people talked face to face and not through metal devices?

BET. Before Electronic Thingies. Will we ever be able to go back to the day when people talked face to face and not through metal devices?

Ancient history? A footnote of something that usta be? Do you miss those good old days of handwritten letters,  getting together with friends/family WITHOUT cellphones, TALKING on the phone instead of texting? The human touch is going going going gone. Do you miss it?

Posted - December 29, 2016

Responses

After the upcoming nuclear war we will have no need for such things. The 17 remaining people won't be able to find each other.
      December 29, 2016 6:45 AM MST

17? It is an odd number m'dear. Why 17 and are you privy to their names? Thank you for your reply ele  and Happy Friday! Think PET is gonna  be the one to push the button? SIGH.
      December 30, 2016 5:49 AM MST

• Am I the only one who sees the irony here?
      December 30, 2016 12:05 AM MST

I don't consider computers and the internet electronic thingies DWF. I don't bring them to the dinner table. Obviously you do and that is why you find my question ironic.  It isn't. Only your perception of it is. That I cannot help.  When I leave my home I don't carry my computer with me. I don't sleep with it near at hand. I don't text 24/7 . I don't spread my life minute by minute in infinitely boring detail and rush to it like folks do on Facebook and other such addictive boring sites. I visit Answermug at my pleasure when convenient. Socialize. Leave.  The internet is useful for email. Our family is scattered from Honolulu to Reno and Phoenix. When I want to research something I Google it at any hour of the day or night at my convenience and get answers. I have done that quite often with medical conditions. It is a useful tool. Not an electronic thingy. You cannot help how you feel. Neither can I. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday.
      December 30, 2016 5:47 AM MST