Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » A Vermont Utility finds malware code attributed to Russia. So Russia is and has been hacking Americans for many years. Does it sell info?

A Vermont Utility finds malware code attributed to Russia. So Russia is and has been hacking Americans for many years. Does it sell info?

Posted - December 31, 2016

Responses

That'll screw up the price of Maple syrup, eh? This post was edited by Element 99 at December 31, 2016 8:50 AM MST
      December 31, 2016 8:45 AM MST

I just saw that report. The report I saw said it was found on a laptop not connected to their network. I guess it was a company laptop, but not part of "the grid". The report was not that specific. I don't know if that counts as "hacking" or just an attempt at password stealing which could lead to active hacking.

Sounds like the kind of virus/malware/whatever you can get by clicking on the wrong link or opening an attachment in the wrong email. I just heard that is how they "hacked" the DNC. It was by people clicking on phishing links in emails.

(Note: this is all reports I heard on the television set. I don't have any links to the news stories. They may or may not be true. I don't know.)

(I guess you have to qualify everything now, because it could all be fake.) This post was edited by Mr. Bromide at December 31, 2016 8:53 AM MST
      December 31, 2016 8:53 AM MST