Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » "Happy is the bride the sun shines on". Is that true for presidents at inaugurations too? Does weather bode ill or well for what comes next?

"Happy is the bride the sun shines on". Is that true for presidents at inaugurations too? Does weather bode ill or well for what comes next?

Posted - January 17, 2017

Responses

I have never heard your quote on the bride and sunshine. I have always ben told it is suppose to be good luck if it rains on your wedding day.

As for it raining on an inauguration it has rained at plenty of them. FDR, Herbert Hoover, and as recently as George W. Bush. In fact 1 in three inaugurations  have some kind of precipitation, be it snow, sleet, or rain.
      January 17, 2017 10:22 AM MST

• It must be true. W.H. Harrison was inaugurated in a blizzard and died of pneumonia a month later. 
      January 17, 2017 12:26 PM MST

Ah yes,  Uncle Ben and Uncle Will, two of my favorite uncles and 2 of the worst presidents ever.

Sharon Harrison
      January 17, 2017 12:27 PM MST

Weather doesn't matter ever as to the future.  It matters  in the moment if you prefer to not get wet.  It wouldn't matter to the new president, I don't think. 
      January 17, 2017 2:37 PM MST