Active Now

Danilo_G
CosmicWunderkind
Element 99
Malizz
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Are we in a society of 'what can you do for me'?

Are we in a society of 'what can you do for me'?

There comes a time when you have to stop crossing oceans for people who wouldn’t even jump in puddles for you.

Posted - January 19, 2017

Responses

Well, Beansie, there are a lot of customer service jobs, you are right about that part.
      January 19, 2017 2:25 PM MST

• Is not the saying, ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country..  I guess we have moved on from that a fair bit and I think, as a society, we are all more selfish and more concerned with what we get out of it...   It's lamentable... but I don't think it's going to change anytime soon.. 

I am afraid I am probably going to have to ask if I may respectfully disagree with the sentiment re people who wouldn't jump into puddles for you.. my concern would be that this is hype.. scaremongering that's been put out.. Is this related to the sentiments expressed about some NATO countries that don't contribute their alloted percentage to NATO?   In some ways I totally agree that is wrong... indeed how can one argue it isnt?  But I would have to disagree that we shouldn't defend them if needed.. and  I hope you will notice I say we.. as the Brits do contribute their percentage.. I suppose I think its more about doing what's right..  should we go blundering into wars where we have NO place and which are motivated more by greed and arrogance NO.. should we defend innocent NATO countries or countries where an international independent body has decided that there are human or international right are abused - I say yes.. and that's regardless of whether they are a percentage or a point of a percentage off their alloted percentage contribution.. it's a principle and doing what's right.. defending the free world and all that that's at stake here not money or pride 
      January 19, 2017 4:25 PM MST

I've been meaning to get back to you on this.  I didn't make it known (badly structured question) that the question was for our personal relationship.  I agree with your take on other small countries we protect.

Some people are always looking for something from you. (My family)
      January 22, 2017 8:44 AM MST