Active Now

Slartibartfast
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Have you ever gone fishing? Any special memories attached to fishing?

Have you ever gone fishing? Any special memories attached to fishing?

I went fishing once.

The whole process took about four days: two days to talk about it, another day to prepare for it, and one more day for the.fishing itself.

It took a long time. . . the fishing part.

Mr Roy invited me fishing. He had one eye. The other one was shot out by his cousin with a shot gun while doing some kind of hunting.

I remember him telling me about his wife and his kids. As if we had entered a Twilight Zone, where for a couple of hours, anything is ok to talk about.. . And then never get mentioned again.

Do you fish?

What does it do for you?

Any fishing memories?

Posted - January 30, 2017

Responses

• I've gone fishing many many times. I have the fondest fishing memories with my dad. We never caught a lot of fish but it gave us time alone and just enjoy nature. The first time he took me fishing, I was about 5-6 years old and continued until I was about 45 years old.
      January 30, 2017 2:47 PM MST

• That's such a cool story. Me and my daughtr have memories like that but building things. Pieces of furniture and stuff. That you still wanted to go at the age of 45 is a big credit upon him.
    Thanks for sharing.
      January 30, 2017 8:05 PM MST

• We would have gone fishing together long after my 45th, but I moved pretty far away, which made it almost impossible. On a good note, my dad continued his fishing trips with my son, his grandson.
      January 30, 2017 8:09 PM MST

• That's truly beautiful.
    That's stuff you see in movies, you know? 
    Have you gone fishing with your son?
      January 30, 2017 8:18 PM MST

• Now that I'm retired and live closer to him, I go fishing with both of my sons, quite often.
      January 30, 2017 8:28 PM MST

• Thanks Not Flo. Maybe I should go.fishing with my daughter. She used to ask a lot if I'd take her.
    Nice answer. 
    You see? I really don't want to. But maybe I should.
    Thanks again, Not Flo. I truly appreciate it. Im going to.ask her if she still wants.to.go. 
    Im going to have to start watching fishing YouTube videos.
      January 30, 2017 8:38 PM MST

• I took my daughter fishing a few times when she was young. As she grew older, worms and fish just weren't working for her any longer.
      January 30, 2017 8:40 PM MST

• I know, the wormy thing would be hard for me to do. Im sort of a girlie man about things like that. I guess she can do that. )
      January 30, 2017 8:47 PM MST

Every year many times.  One day at the Grand Rapids dam on the Maumee River I hit the mother load. The gars were spawning, stirring up the bait fish causing the predatory fish to go on a feeding frenzy. I caught six different species. I fished for 12 hours...even during a thunderstorm an stopped counting after 50. I had to stop at 9PM as the mosquitoes were eating me up. My wrist was numb for a week.
      January 30, 2017 2:58 PM MST

• Wow Element! That's pretty awesome! 
    What did you do with all that fish?!?!
      January 30, 2017 8:06 PM MST

Catch and release. I did give the walleye to a kid, though. Another time I filled a guys cooler with white bass as he wasn't getting any. I had a secret. I put a spinner on a chartreuse swirly tail. Every one else was snagging spawning carp. My lure went over the top of the carp and plopped into the bass hole.
      February 1, 2017 9:49 AM MST

Nothing good, watching something alive die because of me in front of my face was horrible.
    For some odd reason, at the time I thought it was acceptable but it always bothered me.

January 30, 2017 3:01 PM MST

• I know what you mean Morning. It was a little hard to justify the whole thing as just a fun thing. I suppose I made it alright by knowing it was going to be consumed. But I do understand where you're coming from.

January 30, 2017 8:09 PM MST

I loved Fly Fishing (catch and release).  Tying flies during the winter, and then trying the different flies in the streams and rivers, just to see if I could fool the fish into believing my fake fly was the real thing. (true, they ignored most of them, but I tied a couple of wet flies that worked. Caught a 24 inch trout with one wet fly)
      January 30, 2017 5:35 PM MST

• Fly fishing is an art. I could never get the hang of it.
      January 30, 2017 6:22 PM MST

• I am really glad you wrote that Maurice ( that's a cool name btw, very French sounding you know?)  . . .anyway. . Whats the deal with that? The catch and release, where do the satisfaction come from? 
    Is it a battle of wits for you?
      January 30, 2017 8:13 PM MST

I guess you could call it a battle of wits.  Like I said, I was trying to see if I could fool the fish into thinking something I had tied was a real bug or fly, and I was able to get it out there when the fish were eating that kind of fly.  (its more than just using any old fly, the season, time of day, weather all must be taken into consideration, and where you are. No good using a southern bug in a northern river, fish would not know what it was and would ignore it.)
      February 1, 2017 12:45 PM MST

• That's funny, but very wise sounding. The southern river thing. Im going to.have to steal that. I suppose you're right!
    I suppose that each kind of fish would have its own set of prey the are more partial too. They wouldn't go about eating everything. I think that's.real smart. I never thought of it that way. I guess that we could apply that everywhere in life. You know? Not just fishing. 
    Thanks Maurice, you have given me something to think about.
      February 1, 2017 12:58 PM MST

The name is French sounding, but I am Canadian, thus it could be French Canadian, or Metis, or French or it could be to show I am part of the  Scottish Morrison Clan
    Clan profile
          Gaelic Name: MacGhille Mhoire.
          Motto: Teaghlach Phabbay (Pabbay family).
          Badge: Driftwood.
          Lands: Lewis.
          Origin of Name: Son of Maurice or Son of the servant of Mary
      February 1, 2017 1:31 PM MST

• That's alright!
    It does have a certain flair to it,. . . Something I would say using a long r, Maurrrrrice, )
    You know what I mean?
    Thanks, I didn't know that.
      February 1, 2017 1:58 PM MST

• As long as I can remember. I'm kinda pissy lately about not being able to go.
      January 30, 2017 6:22 PM MST

• Really, so you're a fisherman Glis? 
    I mean do you know.about that stuff?
    I did try it, but I really had a hard time keeping my attention focused. You know?
      January 30, 2017 8:15 PM MST

• With the exception of deep sea and surf fishing, yes.  I bet if I got you on my boat  hooked into some large pike or wlleyes and then fried them up on shore you would have a blast.  Sitting around all night with beer and a radio for spring bullheads is a lot of fun too if you got good company.

It's too cold to dewinterize the boat here but the weather has been too erratic  for good ice formation. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 31, 2017 7:44 AM MST
      January 31, 2017 5:45 AM MST

• Im sure it would be fun Glis. Im sure you'd do.your best to.make it so.
    Thanks man.
      February 2, 2017 3:03 PM MST