Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » Too bad you can't dump a prez as easily as you can dump a spouse. I read somewhere all you do is say "I divorce thee" 3 times! Truth or lie?

Too bad you can't dump a prez as easily as you can dump a spouse. I read somewhere all you do is say "I divorce thee" 3 times! Truth or lie?

Posted - January 31, 2017

Responses

In some places there have been such a rule. and yes, it is in the bible too. But it was not always enough, as an example a rapist could not divorce the woman he had raped and therefore been forcibly married to.

Also the wife's relatives might get offended and start a costly feud, so it was not really that easy. This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at February 1, 2017 5:01 AM MST
      January 31, 2017 8:03 AM MST

Thank you for your reply JakobA! :)
      February 1, 2017 5:02 AM MST

Truth 
      January 31, 2017 8:09 AM MST

Do you happen to know what country that is Star? Thank you for your reply! :)
      February 1, 2017 5:01 AM MST

The rule exist in some islamic countries. also based on the Old Testament plus the hadiths that differ between different Islamic groupings.
    Where it exist it is controversal and under attack by women's rights organizations.
    It is rarely practiced, and most often viewed in the same way as for example the Alabama law that makes it illegal to wear a humourous fake moustache in church. Still on the books, but mostly considered ridiculous :)

February 1, 2017 5:56 AM MST