Active Now

Spunky
Element 99
Malizz
Shuhak
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Finance » Do you use the Walmart Money Card? Have you had an issue with your direct deposit?

Do you use the Walmart Money Card? Have you had an issue with your direct deposit?

So I started a job at my college a couple weeks ago; before I started, when I had to turn in my paperwork, the woman in charge of finances stared at my routing number for a good 5 seconds before telling me that she was staring at it for so long because she’d “never seen a routing number that long before”, and she’s not even sure the system will let her type in a number that long.

But it’s the number that’s on my Walmart money card account, and I’ve had it both emailed me and I’ve called to make sure that it’s the correct one. They say all you have to do is give the routing number and direct deposit number to your employer, and you should be set and that’s what I did.

But now I’m worried because time sheets were due today so pay day is coming up and I’m worried something’s going to go wrong anyway…have any of you dealt with this before?

Posted - January 31, 2017

Responses

I wasn't even familiar with the program until now and I just went to look at the Wal-Mart site to see what it was about. 

All bank routing numbers are nine digits long: http://www.routingnumbers.org/

My online sleuthing tells me the Wal-Mart cards usually use the routing number 084003997, but I also read it should be listed on the back of your card. If you didn't give your employer a 9-digit routing number, I'm afraid your check may not get deposited for you. I can't fathom any way a longer number would be used. I would venture to guess there's confusion over the account number, routing number, and card number- they'll all be different. 

I'm not an expert by any means here, so if someone with a stronger banking background jumps in, more power to them. If I were you, though, I'd double check those numbers.
      February 1, 2017 3:30 AM MST

• I'm starting to wonder if I got boxes mixed up or something because I did indeed double check and my routing number IS 9 digits; the super long one is my account number. I know when filling out my papers I put down the 9 digit number and the really long account number. I feel like I should go see her again to clarify things but I'm wondering if it's too late now
      February 1, 2017 4:50 AM MST

You have to have two numbers.
    1.Routing number (9 digits) this is the bank's number....it identifies what bank you are using 
    2. Your account number 

It sounds like you did not give the lady your bank routing number. She will likely be getting ahold of you soon. Unless she did as JA above and found the Wal-Mart banking routing number. 
      February 1, 2017 4:30 AM MST