Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Games » Politics and Chess. The farther ahead you can see your moves the better the chances you'll win. Folks CHEAT in politics. Chess too? How?

Politics and Chess. The farther ahead you can see your moves the better the chances you'll win. Folks CHEAT in politics. Chess too? How?

Posted - February 2, 2017

Responses

• There's ways to cheat at chess and I've caught people doing it at the park playing money games with strangers.  Usually it involves moving a piece fast and low to the board and using slight of hand to bump another piece into an adjacent square.  If your decent and pay attention you can get a feel when someone is making seemingly nonsense moves with pieces leading up to where they want to bump them.  Knights are common with people who try and do it.
      February 2, 2017 6:58 AM MST

• You'd never get away with that with an experienced player, though I once saw somebody try it in a tournament when he was playing a junior. I called the arbiter and he was banned for 14 months. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 2, 2017 1:30 PM MST
      February 2, 2017 1:23 PM MST

• True for the most part.  The chess hustlers in the parks though got their game down pat if you're not keeping an eye and keeping a mental map of the board. It gets pretty elaborate.   Hand signs for people in other games and people in the park to make distractions.
    Even some good players who would go to the park tables would get fleeced by cheats because they aren't used to the scam.
    Another new one was people acting like bystanders taking pictures who are really using their phone to find strategies and giving cues to the guy you are playing.  The backgammon hustlers are even worse though at the parks.
      February 2, 2017 1:48 PM MST

• The real problem is if you are good enough to catch it they will make a huge scene and you basically get bullied over it by a few of the "regulars" who are in on it. People will usually walk away and let them keep their faith money. So they didn't win the wager but got your $10 on the table put up as faith for the wager.
      February 2, 2017 1:52 PM MST

• I've seen film of chess from Washington Square Park in NYC but didn't know they'd taken it to that level. It's really just a gentler form of mugging. 
      February 2, 2017 1:56 PM MST

• Pretty much.   I don't know what goes on there, but I seen it happen lot's of times at the tables I grew up around.
    Part of it is trial by fire for newcomers too.  Some of those guys just didn't like noobs who couldn't hang.  Had to prove you knew you belonged there kinda thing. At least at the money tables.  Certain tables were claimed in an unofficial manner. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 2, 2017 3:27 PM MST
      February 2, 2017 1:59 PM MST

It's funny weird but I would think that people who play chess are honorable. I know. There is no logic to that belief but if you can play chess you have be smart and I think it's the less-smart folks who are the liars and cheaters. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday. Has a Grand Chessmaster ever been caught at cheating?
      February 3, 2017 3:16 AM MST

While you are playing checkers they are playing chess and before you realize the game has changed, checkmate.
      February 2, 2017 7:25 AM MST

Apologies O but I don't quite understand this answer. Thank you and Happy Friday! :)
      February 3, 2017 3:17 AM MST

• Cheating has become a real problem in major tournaments involving big prize money. Chess programs have become so powerful that a mobile device (not alwaya a phone), an accomplice, and a computer can win games. FIDE has minimised opportunities and mobile bans are NOT allowed in the tournament halls. 

But on a lighter note... 

I was playing a fellow commuter on the train and we sat side-by-side. Because I had more experience I arranged the board so he always had his pieces in front of him while I played from the opposite side. After the third loss he said, "Why can't I beat you?" And, tongue-in-cheek, I said, "I'm sitting on your side of the board. I can see all your moves." The poor guy believed me and insisted on turning the board around for the rest of the journey. It didn't help.

Here's a link to a piece I wrote on cheating for my chess blog
      February 2, 2017 1:37 PM MST

Geez Didge I clicked onto the link! Your blog is something else! You are seriously smart m'dear so thank you for dropping by from time to time to answer my questions. I think what you wrote here is hilarious  No disrespect to the gentleman with whom you were playing chess. But it does show how some of us will reach for straws to explain away our failures and rather than blame our own shortcomings we try to find a "reason" outside of ourselves to blame. And so it goes! Thank you for your reply. I have a friend whose dad was very good at chess. I don't know if he was a  Grandmaster but he could play 4 people or more simultaneously. He was the father of a friend of my son's and  my kid would tell me about him. For me keeping track of one game and one board and one opponent is more than I can manage! Have you personally ever in engaged in multiple games? What is that like?
      February 3, 2017 3:24 AM MST

• I have but I'm not particularly good at it. One afternoon after work I was playing cards on the train and one of my friends, across the aisle, wanted to play chess. So I was playing him as the card game progressed and I managed not to hold up either of them.

I was only average as far as tournament play goes but that's still pretty reasonable. Age is starting to affect my concentration and I'm slipping away a bit but still love the game. 

Thanks for the kind words.
      February 3, 2017 3:38 AM MST

You're welcome. I calls 'em as I sees 'em which I'm sure you have ascertained by now! I'm slowing down too somewhat but my concentration is still very good. I can shut out everything and focus on one thing for a very  long time. I guess that's  why being an Internal Auditor worked so well for me. You have to be able to focus and concentrate and shut everything/everyone else out as you investigate/analyze/figure out.  A brain that can concentrate on multiple things simultaneously and do all of them well is  something I'd love to have. I do multitask but a lot of it is automatic and doesn't require much brainppower. You know I'm on Answermug as I'm in the kitchen cooking or I'm washing clothes as I'm balancing my checkbook or vacuuming. That kind of thing. But serious and deeply thoughtful concentration as it would take to play multiple chess games simultaneously? That is beyond my imagination and abilities ! :) Different subject. I know you wanted Djokovich to win the Australian Tennis Tournament but he was bounced. Is he your favorite player? How do you feel about Andy Murray or Rafa Nadal? You know who my favorite is! :)  Do you watch all the Majors? We've got the French open coming up in May, Wimbledon in June and of course the US Open at the end of August. :) This post was edited by RosieG at February 3, 2017 3:49 AM MST
      February 3, 2017 3:46 AM MST

• Roger has been my favourite for many years although Djokovic and Nadal are right up there. Andy Murray is a great player but has the misfortune to be a little shy on personality. Heck, who am I kidding? He's boring. I'm hoping his wife manages to jolly him up a bit -- she has enough personality for both of them. 

Anyway it's 10.00 pm here now and time for me to shut down for the day. Nice talking to yoiu, Rosie. 
      February 3, 2017 3:59 AM MST

Likewise. Happy dreams Didge! :)  See ya later gator! :)
      February 3, 2017 4:05 AM MST