Active Now

Element 99
DannyPetti
Shuhak
Randy D
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Communication » What makes communication easier through songs?

What makes communication easier through songs?

Posted - February 2, 2017

Responses

• Songs become part of the collective consciousness.  
      February 2, 2017 1:58 PM MST

Hi Glis~ Thanks for answering and yes, that is a great point.  I was wondering if it were the rhythm.  For example, I sometimes think in rhymes.  This gets me in trouble sometimes because words that rhyme with one another and I put a rhythm  to them.  Sometimes the rhyming word isn't always the best word for the topic at hand.  It's a weird quirk in Merlin that few have heard or understand! :)
    Thanks again, Glis
      February 2, 2017 2:13 PM MST

• Well it's been  demonstrated that certain sound qualities, tones, and rhythms  elicit predictable emotional responses in people even from different cultures and backgrounds.
      February 2, 2017 2:17 PM MST

Another good point.  Since I like people, as a general rule, and find ways of communicating very interesting, it is fascinating how we need or choose to.  The banging of the drum. The hype and excitement of anxiety or happiness.  How confusing it all can be.
    Another thought I have is how about the placement of words?
    George Carlin had a great stand up act.  I'm not sure if you are a fan or are familiar with him but he pointed out that it is where we use words and why.  If you think about the four lettered bad words in our vocabulary, who made them bad and why? It is because what we made them stand for a bad thing?  Another bizarre thing about communication :)  And, another reason why it is so important we continue to make it a valuable means of sharing how we feel.  Big smiles to you Glis.  Thanks! This post was edited by Merlin at February 2, 2017 2:45 PM MST
      February 2, 2017 2:35 PM MST

• I love Carlin.  He's like a spiritual guru to me.
      February 2, 2017 2:46 PM MST

Me too!!  He left a very good impression on me.  I thank him for that.  Communication was an art he was very good at.  Or dissecting it rather and showing us how important and misleading it may be.  Glis, "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."...

Casablanca quote. It fit perfectly here.  I couldn't resist! Big smiles

This post was edited by Merlin at February 2, 2017 3:06 PM MST
      February 2, 2017 3:05 PM MST

• I don't know precisely.. but it's true isn't it... I have thought about it a lot but never really been able to explain why lyrics, words are so much more powerful when set to music.. I can only think that it makes them more powerful because we hear them and there is the added sensory aspect of the music? Boring answer lol most unlike me to be serious 
      February 2, 2017 3:11 PM MST

Never a boring answer!  It's always good to open the lines of communication.  Your thoughts and opinions are just as snazy as anyone elses.  You took the time out of your day to think about my question and answer it.  That is important to me. :) Your thoughts are true and heartfelt.  That makes them all the more important to me and to you, too! Happy! Happy!
      February 2, 2017 3:20 PM MST

• I very much like Glis's collective consciousness. My own thought? Songs capture the emotions -- they can be happy or sad and can match our mood. They can stir the blood, as martial music does, and sometimes they can celebrate (as victory songs often do). They are used in worship to provide personal input into a religious service/ceremony. They touch us in the same way that poetry reaches us but have the advantage of music to rouse the soul. 
      February 2, 2017 9:17 PM MST

I bow to thee Didge.  Thank you for an eloquently stated answer.  Said only as "The Didge" could say! Thank you.  You're awesome!
      February 2, 2017 10:47 PM MST