Discussion » Questions » Business » If you were an employer, what would you look for in an employee?

If you were an employer, what would you look for in an employee?

How would you go about finding the right person for the job? 

Posted - February 5, 2017

Responses

I have worked in a few places where I was the person people turned in their applications for employment. It was amazing how some people dressed. One woman showed up in a tube top cut off jeans shorts and flip fops. I have seen prostitutes dressed better. Or the applications were awful looking. The couldn't follow instructions, were illegible, or had food stains on them. I would look for the one that came in dressed like they are already employed with me, whose application was neat and filled out correctly. Or if it was a resume, one that was clear and concise. One that listed the job they were applying for and had the skills and experience listed that fit the job notice.
      February 5, 2017 10:29 PM MST

I'm with you Gatorblu. :)
      February 5, 2017 10:44 PM MST

• Perfect answer perfect answer. Thanks GB.
      February 5, 2017 10:45 PM MST

It would depend on the job.  But, there are a couple things I would look for.
    Are they physically able to do the job they are applying for
    Are they dressed appropriately for the job.  This could be a swimsuit and a pair of nice shorts and t-shirt w/water shoes.  This could be a v-neck tight t-shirt and shorts w/ hair tied back.  This could be a suit or a nice skirt w/ nylons and heels.  This could be a cowboy hat, a horse and a chew. I might not be able to provide the horse.  They would have to have their own...
    If I offered a written application, can they follow the instructions on the application?
    Did they come prepared to fill one out?
    Do they have requirements for the job at hand?
    Anything I would be hiring for would need good public relation skills.
    I would see how I reacted immediately to them and watch them interact with others.
    Do they have a nice aura about them?
    How interested are they in the job?  Or, am I just another stop along the way where they can pick up a pay check
    Do they have many responsibilities and needs outside of the job they are applying for?

All in all, I would look for awareness, friendliness, intelligence, and self confidence.  The job they would be applying for would absolutely need athletic abilities and common sense.  Oh, and they MUST speak English. This post was edited by Merlin at February 5, 2017 11:01 PM MST
      February 5, 2017 10:56 PM MST

• You've covered lots of ground there, Merlin. All good stuff. Thanks. 
      February 5, 2017 11:01 PM MST

Thanks.  I went a little over-the-top there.  Sorry.  I was listening about the Superbowl game highlights and didn't realize I was rambling on. 
      February 5, 2017 11:12 PM MST

• I didn't believe the result. I thought the Patriots were long gone. 
      February 5, 2017 11:15 PM MST