Active Now

Element 99
DannyPetti
Shuhak
Randy D
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Communication » I wonder how many other heads of state do not read but get their news from TV and "dependable sources" like The Enquirer? How many tweet?

I wonder how many other heads of state do not read but get their news from TV and "dependable sources" like The Enquirer? How many tweet?

I wouldn't be surprised if the North Korea head of state doesn't read. Maybe he is a voracious reader. But I think the United States might be unique and have that singular distinction. Is someone who refuses to read illiterate or just uninterested? Does it take a good focus and attention span to be a good reader and those who lack focus/attention span simply don't cut it?

Posted - February 9, 2017

Responses

• This is a big bear of mine.. I've mentioned it on here a few times.. to me it's just logic.. intelligent people tend, or almost always, have enquiring minds.. it goes with the territory and we observe that those who do not have enquiring minds tend not to read, not to research and not to debate... 

As a sane rationing being I would always want a prez/leader to be intelligent.. my rationale for that is that that's the kind of person who is going to think things through, consider all the options and then make the best decision.. there's way too much at stake not to..  We all want our country to thrive and do well and be respected... an intelligent leader who is well informed and makes good decisions based on realistic understanding  will have the respect of their people and the world...

Someone who doesn't do those things, who doesn't even want to read fairly basic reports if they are longer than a page long... now that's the opposite of someone I'd consider safe... T

There are youtube vids about this very subject.. that when asked to read something Trump cannot.. the conclusion was that Trump has the vocabulary and reading skills of a 4th grader.. now imagine putting a 4th grader in charge of the country? Not going to be good!
    The really worrying thing about all this is... that unintelligent people are, by their very nature unaware of many things, many subtleties and factors, so they are not aware of how important it is to be able to read, research and understand complex ideas and expert input. I guess this is why neither Trump nor many or his supporters can see and understand why it's important. If one lacks intelligence enough to understand why it's important, one wouldn't be expected to understand why it's even more important in the person leading one's country This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 2, 2017 2:44 AM MST
      February 9, 2017 8:12 AM MST

Thank you for your very thoughtful and thorough reply to my question DdbTD. Maybe that's his charm. He doesn't intimidate the folks who support him because he isn't any smarter than they are. I dunno. Intelligence, being articulate, being mannerly and gracious and knowledgeable used to be admired. The Donald is the antithesis of that. They say cream always rises to the top. Sometimes the dregs/detritus rises to the top too. I don't know why. :(
      March 2, 2017 2:47 AM MST

I don't care if he doesn't read. 
    I don't read books either. 
    I get my news from the TV and the internet.

This post was edited by my2cents at February 9, 2017 11:02 AM MST
      February 9, 2017 8:15 AM MST

• Well yes that's exactly the attitude expressed by his supporters.
      February 9, 2017 8:19 AM MST

Why should I care that he didn't read some talking head's book or some politician's? If he did then the complaint would be he was reading the wrong one. 
    There in fact were several questions here criticizing Paul Ryan's favorite author. This post was edited by my2cents at February 9, 2017 8:26 AM MST
      February 9, 2017 8:24 AM MST

• Well with respect m2c I didn't actually say there was a necessity to read books per-se, let alone, quote, "some talking head's book or some politician's". I didn't even refer to books as such.  I did talk about intelligent people and the things they have in common, which Trump does not. These things actually are linked with intelligence... I gave examples and explained why they were important..

In actual fact it is a whole host of associated traits that denote or give away intelligence... and I have said before.. almost all intelligent people DO read... i never said they read books specifically..but they DO read,. many of them read periodicals, journals, research papers, articles etc.. they do NOT as Trump does, balk at reading even a report... They very much, even if they are experts, top of their field read peer papers, peer research and they keep abreast of the latest writings of people in their field.. even if just to disagree and debate it.... 

So while many, or even most very intelligent people do read books, I am *intelligent* lol enough to know that not everyone has time to read books as such.. mind you that is NOT Trump's problem.. he has plenty of time and could use a bit of his twittering time to read :P  

Let's examine too cases where someone may have a reading disability.. does that automatically mean they are unintelligent? No.. not at all. But us reasonably intelligent peeps know that they would make up for it in other ways...  I say this as a mummy who has three kids all who have Dyslexia, ADHD etc.. the older one has a masters and the other an undergrad.. so for instance they listen to audio books, they have thngs read to them, they ask lots of questions and they read.. just slower.. 

Indeed that's the difference between a very intelligent person with a reading disability and a thickko with a reading disability.. the one understands why it's important to access information and literature, the other truly can't even comprehend it... 

All I can say is that by any reasoning definition of intelligence.. Trump does NOT act, speak or behave like a man who has even average intelligence... he refuses to take on board expert advice, he doesn't read relevant documents and material, and he doesn't even try to get round any deficit caused by not reading.. honestly I would bet a hundred quid.. that man is of a fair bit less than average intelligence. 
      February 9, 2017 9:08 AM MST

You responded to my answer saying it was typical of a Trump supporter's attitude.  That is the entire interaction between us on this topic.
      February 9, 2017 10:07 AM MST

• My dear m2c, I am a stickler for language.. as you know.. words are my thing.. and I don't like to think of you being puzzled on this one, and I am, by nature, an educator, so I always want to explain and clarify..  so here goes.. 

It's not entirely the case that the 'entire' interaction was  as you say.. as you responded to mine after that and you said, "Why should I care that he didn't read some talking head's book or some politician's? If he did then the complaint would be he was reading the wrong one. " my response therefore was in answer to your question, 'why should I care..' I was merely answering your question, again please see it as a compliment; you asked a question and I valued you enough to respond and explain, as I believed you requested same..  That's all.. nothing more, nothing less.. stickler for language.. if someone asks why.. I assume they want to know why.. so i tell them :)  
      February 9, 2017 10:18 AM MST

:):):)
      March 2, 2017 2:48 AM MST

Personally, I don't read the Enquirer.. I stick to the National Examiner.  Its got lots of great news stories that are not reported by most of the Media.
      February 9, 2017 8:49 AM MST

Fake News stories or real provable honest honorable truthful news stories? Thank you for your reply Maurice and Happy Thursday.
      March 2, 2017 2:50 AM MST