Active Now

Spunky
my2cents
Zack
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Do snappy spiffy slogans ever change your mind about anything? It's just a collection of words gathered together in a specific way. Of what substantive value are slogans? Why?

Do snappy spiffy slogans ever change your mind about anything? It's just a collection of words gathered together in a specific way. Of what substantive value are slogans? Why?

Posted - July 11, 2016

Responses

Spiffy slogans actually work in reverse with me, it turns me away from the product.

July 11, 2016 4:17 PM MDT

• I ignore adverstising, except for clicking on this site's ads to help fund it.

If an advertiser says it, I assume it's either not the truth, or leaving out the most important bits of it.

If something's really good and fit for its purpose it doesn't need advertising.

But the studies prove my view is not the normal one.

Advertising does affect many people's choices. The slogans create an association that sort of filters into the back of the mind. Some time later, when the person has need of that kind of thing, the slogan and it's product come to mind, which ever one fits the criteria (or perhaps the ego) best.

July 12, 2016 9:04 AM MDT

Because they stick in your head.   For whatever purpose.  They can be just words.  Words are powerful.  Do NOT kid yourself.  You can start a war with words. 

Haste makes waste.  That is true, profound and simple.   It teaches a valued lesson and reminds one to slow down and focus.  All that from a slogan.   That is why advertising works.  It sticks in your head and sells it's message that way.

July 12, 2016 9:09 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply BSurf!

July 13, 2016 6:39 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply hartfire.

July 13, 2016 6:40 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply Sharonna!

July 13, 2016 6:45 AM MDT