Active Now

Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Education » Do you help anyone with their Homework?

Do you help anyone with their Homework?

A family member or a friend.  Are you a tutor? If so do you enjoy helping others when they need it?

Posted - February 19, 2017

Responses

• I have to help my daughter... I don't really like it.. she is often just interested in doing the bare minimum and she whines throughout the process, using as much time moaning, or more, than she does doing the work.  That frustrates me because it's almost the opposite to how i work - I always go the extra mile, if i do something I do it well, I am very competitive with myself.. she isn't..  So I find helping her hard..  I make her flashcards, but she cannot even be bothered to look at them to see if they are suitable... I buy her revision resources, I print past papers... she isn't interested.  Which of course would be fine... IF she weren't about to sit her exams and if she didn't need at least moderately ok results to get into college...  I worry about her!

I used to help both my sons... one was always quite academic but has additional support needs..  he always seemed to appreciate the help... and he went on to gain a masters degree.. 

My other son, was a little lazy but still appreciated the help and did at least try... he says to me that when he has kids he will send them to me to help with their homework...

As it happens I support, now and then, students with support needs in my work... it's rewarding.. or has been so far...
      February 19, 2017 9:17 AM MST

• I spent a couple of years tutoring adults coming out of the army and wanting to go College. Yes, it was very rewarding.
      February 19, 2017 9:18 AM MST

Kuddos to you.  I love to hear success stories like yours. 
      February 19, 2017 9:31 AM MST

• I'm not currently a tutor, but I have been in the past. I did tutoring throughout college, mainly tutoring people in Latin (both fellow college students and high school kids). This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 19, 2017 9:36 AM MST
      February 19, 2017 9:33 AM MST

Not at the present. I used to help my kids and my students.
      February 19, 2017 9:36 AM MST

Not anymore, but I used to help my younger and older sisters with their math reading and homework.
      February 19, 2017 10:07 AM MST

No payment, but i learned a lot from having to explain it ;-))
      February 19, 2017 10:09 AM MST

Years ago. I was used for that specific purpose.
      February 19, 2017 10:10 AM MST

It's been many years since I helped my children with homework.  

I used to be a math tutor in high school.  It helped me with my shyness.
      February 19, 2017 10:18 AM MST

Yes---math primarily and I was paid.  Tutored mostly fellow graduate students.  Very rewarding.  Amazing how just one misunderstood or missed principle can cause so much trouble in understanding.  Math is not all that simple, but it requires all the pieces and principles to build and move forward.
      February 19, 2017 10:29 AM MST

• I helped all four of my kids with their homework, until the math was beyond my knowledge.
      February 19, 2017 10:42 AM MST