Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Is it fair that African American parents have to be afraid every time their child goes out---that he may get killed?

Is it fair that African American parents have to be afraid every time their child goes out---that he may get killed?

By police? That sounds terrible to me. But it's true. We are better than this.

Posted - July 12, 2016

Responses

Oh pleeeeze!!! 

If it's true they need to clean up their own neighborhood.  No one else can do it.  It's called taking back the hood.  If you know people whining that tune, you can relay the solution to them.

Also mention that it is their job to teach their kids how to behave around others, including cops.  Respect is pretty much the ticket. 

July 12, 2016 10:13 PM MDT

July 12, 2016 11:11 PM MDT

Oh, Thrifty where is your christianity when it comes to black people ?  For all I can see , is nowhere to be found.

July 13, 2016 1:11 PM MDT

Thanks, the little question I had about you is answered.

July 13, 2016 2:45 PM MDT

This isn't exclusive to African Americans, all parents worry for the safety of their children when their children are off alone in the world. I know I do. I've even put him in self-defense classes for this very reason.

We live in a world of risk, that's just a fact and there's nothing we can do about that outside of informing, preparing and teaching our kids how to assess risks themselves.

Beyond that, no govt. is obligated to or even capable of effectively eliminating the fears, whether reasonable or not, of a population under its laws. We can argue whether a govt. is purposed to protect people or protect their rights, but to relieve their fear is a whole other animal altogether.

July 13, 2016 3:16 PM MDT