Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » How would you feel about moving to another state or another country?

How would you feel about moving to another state or another country?

What motivation (employment, lifestyle, whatever) would it take? How would you prepare?

Posted - February 27, 2017

Responses

I'll take it all if you don't mind. Just as long as I have a home and a job when I get there. It won't take long for me to pack because I have duffle bag big enough to carry everything that I need. Well, almost everything.
      February 27, 2017 8:26 PM MST

• That makes you very mobile. After 53 years in the same house we've accumulated so much rubbish we'd either have to sell it, dump it, or hire a whopping great removal van. 
      February 27, 2017 8:42 PM MST

I suggest a freeze on bringing in anything new without taking out at least two things old.
      February 28, 2017 9:14 PM MST

• That'd help. :)
      February 28, 2017 9:15 PM MST

Aye, indeed :)
      February 28, 2017 9:17 PM MST

Hi Zack ~ My sister has always been one that says, "With the exception of sporting gear, if you haven't used it in 1 year, give it to Good Will or a charity of your choice."  You and she would travel well together.  Well, maybe not now, she does have a few more things.  But, there was a time in her life and mine, we could fit everything of value in a duffel bag or a Volkswagen Bug.  I like it!
      February 28, 2017 12:46 AM MST

• "I'd be fine with it." My present lifestyle is pretty flexible, by design, so it would be just another part of the journey.
      February 27, 2017 8:41 PM MST

• Great attitude, Alf. :)
      February 27, 2017 8:43 PM MST

• I did to four different countries.  You can't prepare properly, you can learn the language but it takes living in a country to understand their customs and way of life.  Paris was my favourite city until I had to live there.
      February 27, 2017 9:05 PM MST

• What changed your mind? French arrogance?
      February 27, 2017 10:12 PM MST

• It was the rudeness and the thought process that if I can rip you off then more fool you.  The friends I had in France warned me to always check my change the instant it was put in my hand and to literally get up in the face of anyone who started nitpicking.  I'm not an aggressive person but I got tired of being screamed at by grocery store employees, always, always getting in the queue behind somebody who was arguing about something, the drycleaners, the doctors everywhere.  So one day when I was out walking my dogs one of the building supervisors of another apartment building jumped out in front of me and started yelling pointing to some dried pee on the walls of the building, my dogs were both female so obviously it wasn't them.  That was my point of fighting back, I got nose to nose, told him it wasn't his building, wasn't his street, wasn't his business he was JUST an employee.  He never bothered me again and from then on I didn't take crap from anyone and what was interesting was that once I stood up to them they'd usually argue a while then deflate like a balloon.  I have to add that it's not just foreigners they treat this way they're rude to other French people and by far the worst are the people in Paris.  It was a daily battle though especially when you know in advance that you're more than likely going to be ripped off if you don't watch it.
      February 28, 2017 9:04 PM MST

• Wow! That's an appalling attitude. I wouldn't have wanted to live there either. Unpelasant people.
      February 28, 2017 9:09 PM MST

Hi Didge ~ Hopefully my moving would be driven by a positive motivation.  As you stated, those motivations may include a more enjoyable and better paying job with benefits and a healthier lifestyle.  Others might be, knowing friends/family already living there who like their surroundings.  A better climate would be a big motiviation, and a better neighborhood.  Maybe the cost of living wouldn't be so high.  Then, there is always the thought of going for the gusto and making an entirely new start without knowing anybody or anything about your destiny.  There is also running from something you don't want to face.  All of these would be reasons to be motivated to make a large move.

How would I prepare?  It depends on the reason for leaving.  I've heard that having enough money to endure such a huge move and survive for at least 3 months is a good way to start.  If I were to take this path, I'm sure I would have found a decent neighborhood ahead of time and built a home or put a substantial down payment on a house to fit my lifestyle .  I then would have had packed all needed items in boxes identified with rooms in which they were taken and to go, in appropriate box sizes and packing around the china, nice clothes, crystal,and so on. The final step would have been to turn off all the power, gas, cable, and closed the house.  I would then have professionals movers transport them from one house to the other.  I would throw a huge party for friends, neighbors, and family as a free-for-all garage sale and moving party.  Like I said, I've heard that is the adult, responsible, and well-thought out way to make such an enormous move.  However, event though I know how to do this,  I've never taken that route.
    I've closed a house in three days, packed everything into two cars and a small u-haul and given everything to our friends, family, and neighbors.
    I've packed a duffel bag, emptied my bank account and jumped on a bus.
    I've accepted a job in another state, dove into a car with complete strangers, who also accepted a similar job, and gone on a new job pursuit.    I did keep the job for over a year and they were nice people, thank goodness!!
    I've hitchhiked and worked along the way in various jobs and stayed in youth hostels
    I highly doubt I would prepare for a large move again like I did these last four.  They were more of a move forward than prepare for a move forward.
    But, knowing my husband and myself, we would probably fly on a wing and a prayer! 

February 27, 2017 9:06 PM MST

• I was surprised at first how much thought you were able to give to this answer in so short a time. Then I got to the second part of your answer and realised that you were speaking from experience. Those are great things to do when you're young. Harder, of course, when you're more settled. 
      February 27, 2017 10:15 PM MST

Hi Didge~  Big smiles...  I had a moment or two to kill and thought about what I would do if I had many things I cared about and had to move. It's a side of me I normally don't show. That "Think things through and be organized," side.  Bigger smiles!! 
    I don't think it is rubbish you have collected.  Since you have kids, they are memories that are cherished.  They were important to you in steps in your life and that is what is fun to look back on. Besides, I bet there many things that are worth something in your "rubbish" that museums might like or collectors. I'm sure some photos are wonderful. :)
      February 28, 2017 12:56 AM MST

• One day I'll tell you the story of my father's block and tackle which still lives in my garden shed. In fact, I might write it up for my blog. It's a fun story and the only time I ever managed flight without the benefit of at least a hang glider. 
      February 28, 2017 2:53 AM MST

Good?
      February 27, 2017 9:14 PM MST

• What can I say? That's good! :)
      February 27, 2017 10:16 PM MST

I wouldn't want to do it. Most places are junky. Might as well stay with the junk you're used to. Seeing new junk won't help anything. This post was edited by Mr. Bromide at February 28, 2017 2:36 AM MST
      February 27, 2017 10:14 PM MST

• I'm gonna email you some cheerful pills, Mr B. I'm sure there are lots of wonderful places out there -- and there's no reason why most of them shoiuld be "junk". :)
      February 27, 2017 10:17 PM MST

• You are missing out on some of the most amazing things/scenery/people the memories of which will last you a lifetime.
      February 28, 2017 9:06 PM MST

The devil you know.
      February 28, 2017 9:12 PM MST

I was born to 'move' I guess, during my younger days, Papa being a central government employee we moved from one state to another, India being a multi-lingual country, me and my siblings soon became a jack of most languages and master of none;)) Then marriage took place, got married to a software guy and even now jumping from one location to another.....I think I'm an international frog now;))))
      February 28, 2017 9:18 PM MST