Active Now

Spunky
my2cents
Zack
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Communication » How did "gay" morph into meaning a homosexual man? I Googled it. See below for details. That is how word meanings evolve/change/trasform. Do you like such change or prefer purity of language? Why?

How did "gay" morph into meaning a homosexual man? I Googled it. See below for details. That is how word meanings evolve/change/trasform. Do you like such change or prefer purity of language? Why?

Around the early part of the 17th century "gay" began to be associated with immorality. Then by the 19th century "gay" referred to women who were prostitutes and a "gay" man slept with many women, usually prostitutes. "Gay it" used to mean to have sex . Around the  1920's-1930's a "gay" man referred to men who had sex with other men. A "gey cat" meant homosexual boy . By 1955 the word "gay" referred to Homosexual men almost exclusively.   Homosexual women were called Lesbians. Since then "gay' meaning homosexual has taken over the word almost completely. That is how it happened. Many centuries of transformation. D'ya like it like that uh huh uh huh or  d'ya dislike it? Why?

Posted - July 13, 2016

Responses

It is as play on words to justify the actions.

July 13, 2016 2:49 PM MDT