Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » He is/was a good man. She is/was a good woman. Of whom would you say that? Because?

He is/was a good man. She is/was a good woman. Of whom would you say that? Because?

Posted - February 28, 2017

Responses

Their behavior. 
      February 28, 2017 4:40 AM MST

I am asking you to name a specific person m2c. Not a behavior pattern. Is there anyone you can name whom you think is a Good Man or a Good Woman? Your dad, mom? Friends? Anyone? SPECIFICALLY? Thank you for your reply.
      February 28, 2017 12:37 PM MST

Who / Whom can refer to either a singular or plural antecedent, so since you didn't specify what you actually wanted, we have to guess...

my2cents had to guess.

If your question was not ambiguous, she would not have had to.
      February 28, 2017 12:47 PM MST

No actually if you read the third sentence, she does ask specifically. 
    We need to read closer.
      February 28, 2017 5:12 PM MST

No, she does not ask specifically.

Whom can refer to a class of people or one specific person.

"Of what person would you say that?" would be perfectly clear.

And frankly I don't like it when after someone takes the time and makes the effort to answer a question, the person asking then dismisses that answer with a comment and a thank you that comes across (intended or not) as "Nice try, but you blew it---Next contestant please"

(Backward complement---A compliment which unintentionally comes across as an insult.)
      March 1, 2017 12:01 PM MST

My bad. I didn't read the third sentence correctly. 
    My immediate family are all good people. My Mom, Dad, Step Mom, sister, brother, their spouses, Our three children. 
    We all have each other's back and everyone is respectful of each other. No one is a dope head or thief, we all have morals. This post was edited by my2cents at February 28, 2017 6:21 PM MST
      February 28, 2017 5:09 PM MST

• Hi RosieG,

I think you almost have to live with someone to say that…the information we receive can be SO different from the day-to-day reality…so,

My parents; in forty years knowing them, I saw their deep lovingness, never anything petty or self-serving. And other members of my family.

Two friends, Dianne and Richard, both bipolar - which I wonder may open a deeper sight into life. Richard died in 2015, only 56 y/o, I am convinced a broken heart at the sorrows of the world.
    Dianne, his best friend and soulmate, age 69, is now on her deathbed…for some unknown reason unable to eat more than a few tiny bites each day…likewise I believe her heart is broken.

Again, I see the goodness of Dianne and Richard because I have known them both intimately, their beauty.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 28, 2017 6:28 PM MST
      February 28, 2017 6:25 PM MST