Active Now

Gino LOLobrigida
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » How do you think being owned by a Private Holding Company might affect Wikipedia Encyclopedia and Merriam-Webster Dictionary?

How do you think being owned by a Private Holding Company might affect Wikipedia Encyclopedia and Merriam-Webster Dictionary?

Merriam-Webster/Parent organizations
Image result for who owns merriam webster
Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc.
Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc. is a Scottish-founded, now American company best known for publishing the Encyclopædia Britannica, the world's oldest continuously published encyclopedia. Wikipedia
Key person: Jacqui Safra (principal owner)

Posted - May 6, 2017

Responses

Wow!  That's a tough one Weylon~
    Being that they will be owned, is already a stipulation.  I would  say it will free them of taxes and probably give a wider view.  The English language is ever changing (Merriam-Webster Dictionary) and to the best of my knowledge, Wikipedia is already a conglomeration of fact finders who share with us their hard work about finding facts we don't know.
    I will say it will have a direct affect on the dictionary and a minimal effect on the Wikipedia.
    Did I get my affect and effect(s) mixed up?  I always do that!!  Please let me know.  Thanks, Merlin :) :) This post was edited by Merlin at May 7, 2017 1:05 PM MDT
      May 7, 2017 12:59 PM MDT

I think effect or affect could either go there depending on what you want to say. We better ask Randy. :)

I always knew Wikipedia is strongly biased, but I was not expecting to find it on the list too.
    I like to edit Wikipedia articles sometimes but it gets frustrating when they undo all your work on a poorly sourced or no source article.
     For example, I added a lot of sources and some more in depth information to the article on steel guitar and they reversed it all because of some trivial issue. This article has absolutely no sources as do several: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_guitar Wikipedia is made to support British views and we are largely owned by the Brits via the Federal Reserve System.
      May 7, 2017 1:13 PM MDT

See?  I didn't know that.  I thought Wikipedia was just a bunch of nerds with nothing to with their time.  I'm glad you go in and correct them.  I had no clue.
    If you are interested in music and the steel guitar, etc., you might be really interested in "Ultimate Radio Show?"  or the "Parrothead Lounge?"  Larry is the founder and is very knowledgeable.  I'll send you a link privately.  I don't want to get into music and sway beyond your question.
    I do think it is cool I know someone who does get up and make corrections on Wikipedia!  Good for you!  There are a couple of things I've found that are incorrect and have never taken the time or corrected them because they were minimal.  I will pay more attention next time and make sure I do.
    Your facts are fun for me also because I DID HAVE Britannica Encyclopedias when I was growing up!!!!!!  I loved them!!  I received A through M and N through Z ... or something of that nature.  I don't remember precisely only that I received them in 2 shipments.  I know my parents still have them in boxes at their house.  What a kick!  Thanks Weylon! :) :) 

May 7, 2017 1:58 PM MDT