Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Babies and Kids » ADOPTION. Should they be closed or open? Does an adoptee have the right to learn whom his/her parents are? What about the right to privacy?

ADOPTION. Should they be closed or open? Does an adoptee have the right to learn whom his/her parents are? What about the right to privacy?

Which of these is more important? Knowing for the adoptee or remaining secret/private for the person(s) who gave the baby up? Why?

Posted - May 13, 2017

Responses

They should be closed generally.  The person who has been adopted deserves to know from where he/she came.  At the age of 21 the adoptee should have access to that information.
      May 13, 2017 12:48 PM MDT

I agree.  I think they should at least have access to medical information. That could mean life or death in extreme cases. If there are genetic diseases/conditions that run in the family they should be told. Thank you for your reply Thriftymaid and Happy Mother's Day Sunday!   :)
      May 14, 2017 4:04 AM MDT

Of the 3 people involved, the child is for sure a true "Victim" with a capital V.  I would think he has a right to (almost) any information he wants---on a case by case basis.
      May 13, 2017 3:33 PM MDT

I think so too. As I mentioned to Thriftymaid having access to familial history medically could be critical. Thank you for your reply tj and Happy Mother's Day Sunday! :)
      May 14, 2017 4:05 AM MDT