Active Now

Danilo_G
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Why is it that whenever people challenge or mock religion they are branded as "trolls", while those who use their religion as a vehicle to spread hatred and prejudice are not?
Bez

Why is it that whenever people challenge or mock religion they are branded as "trolls", while those who use their religion as a vehicle to spread hatred and prejudice are not?

When is it going to be the other way around?

Posted - July 18, 2016

Responses

• That's all a matter of personal opinion.  Religion is a very "passionate" topic.  No matter how someone talks about it or uses it .. someone is going to be offended.  But spreading hatred and prejudice or mocking beliefs of any kind is unacceptable.  Trolling is the way people describe any behavior or activity they disagree with.

July 18, 2016 11:27 AM MDT

• Some people get all "twitchy" when it comes to faith.  God will not be mocked!  

July 18, 2016 11:29 AM MDT
  • Bez

I don't describe everything I disagree with as "trolling". I have seen many people on this and other sites who disagree in a polite, civilised and unassuming manner and they are nothing remotely resembling trolls even when their beliefs are the extreme opposite of my own. However, those who are cocky when they disagree ARE trolls, not for disagreeing but for being cocky. The true definition of trolling is posting something offensive or controversial for the sake of provoking a reaction, and being cocky falls into that category simply because it is so annoying that it is bound to provoke a reaction, whereas being civilised does not provoke such a reaction. Does that make sense to you, LynnCal?

Why is it so necessary for religion to be a "passionate" topic anyway? Why don't people either keep their religions to themselves or else politely say "I'm sorry, I don't agree with that"? What is stopping them?

July 18, 2016 12:01 PM MDT

•   July 18, 2016 12:02 PM MDT
  • Bez

Why do they get all "twitchy", GoatJumper? Why don't they accept that not everyone is going to agree with them and simply limit their interactions to people who do agree with them? Is that really too difficult?

July 18, 2016 12:04 PM MDT

Double standards, and it's likely never to be changed.
      July 18, 2016 12:32 PM MDT

Oh not so.

I brand them as Trolls every time they start that nonsense. 

July 18, 2016 12:34 PM MDT

• I don't know. you gotta ask them.  I know they make amusing conversationalists.

the topic of Politics has nothing over the topic of religion. 

Maybe they take it as a personal insult

July 18, 2016 12:42 PM MDT
  • Bez

I don't see anything amusing in endless arguments. They are tedious, annoying and a waste of time.

July 18, 2016 12:45 PM MDT

• Ego Andy.  Ego is what's stopping them.

July 18, 2016 1:42 PM MDT

Good question.

Hypocrisy and ignorance may explain the reasons why people behave in that unreasonable manner.

July 19, 2016 12:06 AM MDT

• No one ever said they were endless :)

They are only if you let them

July 19, 2016 12:52 AM MDT
  • Bez

It's nothing to do with whether I let them. Some people never know when to stop. They don't seem to understand the meaning of the phrase "enough is enough". Why do you think that is, GoatJumper?

July 19, 2016 3:56 AM MDT
  • Bez

I can't stand double standards. I fail to see how anybody can.

July 19, 2016 3:57 AM MDT
  • Bez

July 19, 2016 3:57 AM MDT
  • Bez

How does ego stop them being polite about it? Why don't they channel their egos into becoming more civilised, then they'll be able to look down their noses at the ones who are rude and arrogant. Lol:)

July 19, 2016 4:11 AM MDT

Ikr.
      July 19, 2016 4:16 AM MDT

• Ah!  You've hit upon the thing Andy.  An ego isn't a bad thing.  We all need one.  But a healthy one can bend with life and will do so.  An unhealthy one will kick and scream like a toddler in a temper tantrum at the slightest opportunity.

It's just people needing their comforter, and reacting badly when it's not available.

July 19, 2016 2:41 PM MDT

• Of course it has something to do with you. It takes two, Andy. You know that   :)

But to answer your last question, some people are just stubborn or feel they have to have the "last word". It's not only the religous people  who indulge in that behavior. It's a personality quirk.

July 19, 2016 4:45 PM MDT
  • Bez

What do you think makes people like that, GoatJumper?

July 20, 2016 12:15 AM MDT