Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Have you ever had a memory that you thought was something that really happened, but now that you think of it it might have only been a dream?

Have you ever had a memory that you thought was something that really happened, but now that you think of it it might have only been a dream?

What was it? (Please don't tell me to go away, like the last time I asked a question. lol)

I was telling someone a memory I had about the neighbor growing up. I remember sneaking in his backyard with the neighborhood boys and climbing on the roof of his shed/barn thing. But when I told the story it seemed unreal, and I started to doubt my memory. Maybe it was a dream?

Posted - July 19, 2016

Responses

• yes. something like that. when i was a kid. it was a weird feeling.

July 19, 2016 10:00 PM MDT

I've been watching a series on Netflix and I think it's called Brain Games. The last episode I saw said that every time we recall a memory, we change it. They were uncovering how eye witness accounts are unreliable because our memories get distorted so easily. They had a group of people witness a fake crime and then they interviewed them a week later. They planted a fake witness in the room to distort what happened. The fake witness added in a detail that one of the people involved was wearing a red coat. She wasn't, but several people agreed and they genuinely had memories of the woman wearing a red coat after that.

Your memory may have had madeup bits, but the bulk of it probably happened how you recalled. If your friend suggested that you weren't remembering correctly, the power of suggestion could have messed with your memory even more.
      July 20, 2016 12:58 AM MDT

I feel like almost all my memories are like that. You remember only the key points and your brain fills in the rest.
      July 20, 2016 1:05 AM MDT

I often have very vivid dreams. I have also been known to answer the phone and have conversations that I do not remember that I apparently incorporate into my dreams. I sometimes have to call someone and ask..."Did that really happen, or was I dreaming?" :)

July 20, 2016 2:01 AM MDT