Active Now

my2cents
Shuhak
Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Beauty » To what extent does conventional beauty define the morality of women, and what are some examples of how this behavior is characteristic of success?

To what extent does conventional beauty define the morality of women, and what are some examples of how this behavior is characteristic of success?

Posted - July 21, 2016

Responses

• This is one of those WTF moments

July 21, 2016 5:23 PM MDT

Simple. 

Beauty has NOTHING to do with morality.  PERIOD.  

Nothing.

So, you need to word this differently.  That is the strict meaning of your question, that is the strict answer.   I do love the Violent Femmes.  Love those guys.

July 21, 2016 5:34 PM MDT

• conventional beauty does not define morality in men or women... at all.

behavior is linked to success, though. you have to do what has to be done to get what you want. it's not enough to call yourself moral, or follow rules set by a moral-majority. being good to others can build a lot of bridges, but success is subjective.

July 21, 2016 5:35 PM MDT

• ps- love the tunage. good stuff. =)

July 21, 2016 5:36 PM MDT

very nice LQ.   Beauty and morality?    Beauty is the most moral thing on earth if you realize that truth is beauty and beauty truth.  Or at least that was that Ode on a Grecian Urn that was passed down through the many centuries.

That is all that ever was and all that is needed to know.  According to Keats, that is....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ode_on_a_Grecian_Urn

I didn't say it.  It sounded good though.

July 21, 2016 5:39 PM MDT

1: beauty
    ˈbyo͞odē/ 
    noun 
    noun: beauty; plural noun: beauties 
    a combination of qualities, such as shape, color, or form, that pleases the aesthetic senses, especially the sight. 
    "I was struck by her beauty" 
    a combination of qualities that pleases the intellect or moral sense. 
    synonyms: attractiveness, prettiness, good looks, comeliness, allure
    antonyms: ugliness

Doesn't it, though? Aren't conventionally beautiful women more respected and successful? Some jobs, in fact, require women to follow a specific dress code which includes a full face of makeup. Why would that be necessary unless it was considered professional? Professional, a specific qualification was required or met. Aside from basic cleanliness, which, understandably makes a person easier to be around, why would a change from one's natural appearance make them more professional, more suitable, and eligible for a job? There is a standard that must be met, and why does this standard exist? Because it reflects the personal character of an individual. I'm asking, what characteristics does it represent? 

July 21, 2016 5:56 PM MDT

• ah, well thank you, in huge heaps. =) your reply is very nice, as well. thanks for the link.

truth is exquisite in it's beauty... no matter what vessel it's delivered in. people place far too much importance on aesthetics. books and covers... they can be deceiving. 

July 21, 2016 6:03 PM MDT

•   July 21, 2016 6:04 PM MDT

Beauty doesn't define the morality of a woman, however it may influence it on certain types of girls.
    I have noticed that the more pretty a woman is, the chance is higher that she acts like a spoiled brat that think that she deserves everything. Which can be influenced by her looks, of course. On some other cases I have seen that they become immoral and treat others like crap, taking advantage of the beauty they possess.
    On other, fewer cases if the girl is beautiful but had good values at home since childhood the beauty may not affect her so much.
    That's what I have seen anyway.

July 22, 2016 12:33 AM MDT

To what extent does conventional beauty define the morality of women?

It doesn't, but it certain traits associated with beauty are are subconsciously linked with how morally upstanding we think someone is. I was just reading some studies on the effects of makeup. Wear it to an interview with a man and you're more likely to get the job. Wear it to an interview with a woman and you're less likely to get the job. He associates it with beauty and she associates it with competition. There was a woman a while back who swore she got fired for being "too sexy." I'll admit, I'm biased on this one. I look at her and wonder why she felt the need to dress like that for work. I do judge her morals. I think she was inappropriate. Others will probably feel differently. She said it was just her natural beauty people took issue with. 

I'm unclear what you meant by your second part, though.

July 22, 2016 12:40 AM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful response! 

July 22, 2016 3:36 PM MDT

I'm not sure what you're driving at, but I think you're very confused.

If you define "'conventional beauty" to mean the physical appearance of a woman, it has squat all to do with her moral character (at least directly).

The fact that certain business domains require women of a certain minimum attractiveness standard also has nothing to do with morality. In fact, far from it. Instead, those women are being exploited to generate sexual desire/insecurity in men and social competitiveness/insecurity in women...in order to sell product. In short, commercial interests use hot women to subtextually signal men "Buy our product and you can associate with women this hot" and to subtextually signal women "Buy our product and you can BE one of these ultra-hot women." In what moral code is that behavior desirable? Yes, I can think of moral justifications why banning commercial interests from doing so would be worse than allowing it, but that doesn't mean the practice is morally positive.

I think what you might be trying to get at is the fact that conventionally attractive people (esp. women) are often thought of, without  evidence, as smarter, funnier, more friendly, more moral, etc. than their less comely counterparts. I think there are two main explanations for that:

A) People are easily confused. We make subconscious associations in our brains and when we go to explain those associations to ourselves, we make a lot of mistakes. I can imagine a scenario in which a man meets a hot women in a setting where any sort of mating behavior is inappropriate (e.g. a job interview). The man finds the woman's presence stimulating, but doesn't want to admit to himself it's because he's attracted. So he invents a rationalization like, "She's really funny" or "She's really bright and charismatic" to explain his emotional fondness.

B) Throughout human history, the most attractive women (which roughly overlaps with conventional beauty) have typically mated with the highest social-status men and had (because of the women's genetic characteristics) more attractive children than the population average (cf. Liv Tyler, daughter of hag-beast Steve Tyler and fashion model Bebe Buell).

Prior to our modern democratic egalitarian era, social morality was largely dictated by the high social status people in societies. So, on a subconscious level, we are probably still associating beauty = high social status = member of elite = person in the social class which dictates morality.

July 22, 2016 4:02 PM MDT

I am not confused, although I might not have explained myself in a way that's easy for most people to understand... I'm working on writing a piece on this subject, so I'll have it better translated then... Anyway, thanks for sharing your opinions. 

July 22, 2016 5:24 PM MDT

A piece? What kind of piece? I'm curious. Will you be sharing?

July 22, 2016 5:34 PM MDT

It's a piece of writing, and I do plan to share here as soon as I'm finished with it. Or, at least, when I have a decent place to pause... It's about beauty, convention, and morality. 

July 22, 2016 6:20 PM MDT
  • Bez

To no extent. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

July 23, 2016 1:49 PM MDT