Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Have you ever seen a satellite in space?

Have you ever seen a satellite in space?

Posted - August 4, 2017

Responses

Yes, one time. I was amazed! 
      August 4, 2017 5:59 PM MDT

Is that a big deal?  I saw a space ship.  That I know I saw. 

August 4, 2017 8:16 PM MDT

• I see one every night when I look at the moon. :)
    But, yes, I've seen the space station fly over. Very bright, very tiny and vert amazing.
      August 4, 2017 8:26 PM MDT

Excellent...you are the only one to say the moon.
      August 5, 2017 8:19 AM MDT

• I'm a space nerd....What can I say? :) Thank you. 
      August 5, 2017 8:21 AM MDT

Yes, but I only knew it was a sattelite because it followed its scheduled orbit, what I actually saw could as easily have been a small meterorite burning up in the upper reaches of the atmosphere.
      August 4, 2017 8:55 PM MDT

just on news coverage
      August 5, 2017 1:50 AM MDT

Human-made, and with the naked eye? Only one that I can remember, MIR, about 20-years ago. And I knew when and where to look for it in the night sky. 

With parabolic antennas? Probably most of the communications satellites to have graced earth's geostationary orbit track in the last 35-years.

Via television, the launch of every manned space flight starting with Alan Shepard's Freedom 7 (which didn't really achieve orbit; that didn't happen until the third Mercury mission, John Glenn's Freindship 7).

Naturally occurring . . .aside from the moon there have been numerous "shooting stars", satellites at the ends of their lives.
      August 5, 2017 9:04 AM MDT

No, I don't do drugs and I don't have a telescope. :)
      August 5, 2017 10:48 AM MDT

Now, hold on there one second.  I don't think seeing satellites has a thing to do with drugs.  Even seeing UFO's does not always lend to drug use.  Some people have seen stuff.  I have seen stuff.  But I do drugs so I doubt if you will ever heed my message.

I saw something in Sedona and it was not for a brief second or so.  I had a good half hour or longer to watch this thing that was not a plane or anything I have ever laid eyes on.

I think it is on youtube actually.

I'll see if I can find it.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at August 5, 2017 12:20 PM MDT
      August 5, 2017 11:00 AM MDT

Many people have reported such sightings.  I don't doubt the, but I think there may be a perfectly good explanation other than aliens.
      August 5, 2017 12:21 PM MDT

It looks a lot like a human-made flying-wing craft using the usual aerodynamic principles for aircraft. The very rectangular shape of the wings do not quite fit with aerodynamics and seem to suggest a small-scale model.
      August 5, 2017 1:28 PM MDT

Also i notice that in the initial picture there is no trace of an airplane body, but later in the video there is a nearly identical picture with a clearly defined square shape nesting in the angle between the wings. 2 different UFOs? Photoshop? What happened here?
      August 5, 2017 1:37 PM MDT

• "Yes" I've also seen them on the ground and I also worked for a company that built them.
      August 5, 2017 1:46 PM MDT

Oh, I forgot . . . 

I used to see the display satellite at the Comsat Clarksburg (MD) facility (just northwest of DC) occasionally when I would pass by on I70.

And then there was the one that sat in my mother's driveway: 1971 Plymouth Satellite.
      August 5, 2017 4:50 PM MDT

Yes, a few times, as a tiny but bright point of light resembling a star but unlike stars, moving fairly rapidly across the sky.

The most impressive I have seen was the so-called "Iridium Flare", when the very large solar panels and antennae on the Iridium satellite catch the sunlight in such a way it brightens considerably before fading again as it moves fast against the stellar background. I saw it in the company of a friend who had an Iridium-tracking application on his 'phone, and this not only gave the time it would appear but also the location. When it appeared it was moderately low in the Eastern sky to us in SW England, but was actually passing over Denmark and the Baltic Sea. 
      August 6, 2017 6:25 PM MDT