Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Should you ask someone permission before you have something sent to them at work?

Should you ask someone permission before you have something sent to them at work?

My friend has a birthday coming up and I want to send a birthday treat to the office for the birthday person and co-workers. I want it to be a surprise. However, I have never been invited to the person's place of work and I don't want to intrude. I originally had it set up to where the bakery was supposed to deliver it, which I thought was probably ok, but then the bakery told me they couldn't deliver because of some issues they're having, so I'll have to take it down. The items are special-ordered and prepaid, so I can't cancel. My current plan is to try to slide in all ninja-like and not get noticed or bother the person at all- just leave it at the front desk.

Is that socially acceptable, super nice,  or intrusive? 

Posted - August 25, 2017

Responses

That is a surprise buster.  Take the risk unless you know a coworker with whom to check.
      August 25, 2017 5:53 PM MDT

If you are leaving it at the front dask, just wait until you are sure the her shift has started and just bring it in. She shouldn't see you if she is working. 
      August 25, 2017 6:04 PM MDT

I'd just eat the cake myself.
      August 25, 2017 6:12 PM MDT

• "I'd ask the person's work, just to be safe."

August 25, 2017 7:17 PM MDT

OF COURSE

Unless you know them well enough that they know it's okay.

UH OH.  I'm in trouble, I didn't read the paragraph underneath explaining that it is YOU and a friend.  I'm sure it will be okay. 

I thought you were asking in general.  Like it is okay to do that.  To that, I would say, NO.  Because there are people that I do not want sending me cakes at my work without my permission. 

But this is a different situation entirely.  I think he/she will be thrilled.  It is really so thoughtful and a way to let his/her co-workers see how much her outside friends care and enjoy a great dessert. 

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at August 26, 2017 1:37 PM MDT
      August 25, 2017 7:19 PM MDT