Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Zack
Discussion » Questions » History » Ever hear of Unionville, Maryland? It is the only town in America that was founded by African American Civil War veterans. Ever been there?

Ever hear of Unionville, Maryland? It is the only town in America that was founded by African American Civil War veterans. Ever been there?

Posted - August 28, 2017

Responses

• No, but I've been to Fitzgerald, Ga. A town founded by a Union veteran and settled by Union and Confederate veterans in the post war period. All the streets were named for Union and Confederate notables, a tragic mistake that everyone is working to rectify. A dangerous example of peace and harmony that can be reversed with a few wrecking balls while we're still in the mood to eradicate Civil War history.
      August 28, 2017 4:09 PM MDT

Of course.

It's a bump in the road about 7-miles west of Westminster, about 16-miles east of Thurmont.
      August 28, 2017 8:29 PM MDT

• "No" ... it also appears that there are three Unionville, MD. unincorporated communities.

Unionville, Maryland may refer to:

Unionville, Frederick County, Maryland, an unincorporated community in Frederick County
    Unionville, Talbot County, Maryland, an unincorporated community in Talbot County
    Unionville, Worcester County, Maryland, an unincorporated community in Worcester County

The one you're referring to is the one in Talbot County and I haven't been there.
      August 28, 2017 9:03 PM MDT

My bad, I was thinking of Uniontown, MD in Carroll county, not Unionville, MD. I believe that the Unionville that she's referring to is the one in Talbot county near Wye Mills, MD though. It's the one founded by emancipated slaves. The Wye Mill Plantation is where they came from prior to their emancipation. (And it's only a half-bump in the road.) This post was edited by Salt and Red Pepper at August 29, 2017 1:42 AM MDT
      August 28, 2017 10:37 PM MDT

• No problem, Salt.  I wasn't rebutting your answer. I was just answering the original question. :))
      August 29, 2017 1:48 AM MDT