Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » Why do some folks seem to have a death wish? They will drug/drink/eat/starve themselves to death. What causes the self-hate?

Why do some folks seem to have a death wish? They will drug/drink/eat/starve themselves to death. What causes the self-hate?

Posted - August 28, 2017

Responses

Trauma that causes lack of control of the emotional body.  Our emotions are highly ignored and we are slaves to them if we do not address why we feel the way we feel.

That is why we need support groups and books and doctors and pills to remedy emotional abuse.

August 28, 2017 11:01 AM MDT

A lot of it comes from marketing. eg: "Improve yourself" == "you are not good enough"
    If you look at it you will notice that some 80% of marketing arguments are about how the mark is deficient in some way, not good enough.
    I first saw it formalized when I heard about "point of ruin". "Find he dislike about himself (his point of ruin) and tell him our product will help with that". Dishonest, but it can work, if done after personal targeting of an individual. Mass marketing do not have time for that, so a survey is made on some group searching for common points of ruin. or maybe they just pick a stereotype and use that for targeting. Then the sales pich is spammed to thousands of people who bear some semblance to the group surveyed.
    - "To loose some of that unsightly weight, you really should try Dr Manzingers patented diet Coke with certified snake oil". It may result in some sales, but most of the women spammed with such an ad will get offended at being called fat and will remember the name "Dr. Manzinger" and have increased sales resistance against anything they see his name associated with in the future.
      August 28, 2017 1:56 PM MDT

You have presented a FORMIDABLE argument JakobA. In other words there are forces out there who encourage this and help cause more of it just to sell their snake oil. It's all about the money and if there is a human toll in the process so what? Oh boy. This is a very sad thing. :( I didn't ONCE think about that but you are so right. We all have insecurities. The lucky ones among us have friends/family who make us feel good about ourselves AS WE ARE and that is all it takes.  But some are not so lucky. Thak you for taking the time to tell it like it is and Happy Tuesday JakobA. My oh my. How sad a state of affairs it is! :(
      August 29, 2017 3:21 AM MDT

The same kind of self-loathing that causes a person to be insanely jealous when there is no
    reason.  They are destroyers of many seeds of love that never get a chance to grow because they expose them to a toxic environment.  I am so glad ma babee is not like that.
      August 28, 2017 2:41 PM MDT

Me too Star. Please read JakobA's reply. I think it is spot on and terribly terribly terribly sad. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! :)
      August 29, 2017 3:22 AM MDT