Active Now

Slartibartfast
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » Is monogamy natural for humans? Why or why not?

Is monogamy natural for humans? Why or why not?

Posted - September 13, 2017

Responses

• This is a great question.

I thought I heard that marriage was first invented to keep people from inbreeding?
    I don't know if that's true?

I imagine that monogamy isn't really natural for most people, but maybe when the right two people meet each other they pair up and they're happy with one another and they become territorial over one another and they have no real reason to leave, but it's rare and I think it has to happen naturally.

I do think once you have kids with someone the instinct should be to stay monogamous and stay a strong family unit to protect and provide for the offspring, but that doesn't always seem to work either.

Hmm...I better get some sleep, but if you delve into open marriages or people who are turned on by cheating and being cheated on, swingers and that whole world then this topic becomes quite a grey area and the answer could be yes or no depending in the individuals.

September 14, 2017 12:06 AM MDT

I think it is.  Though have sometimes thought I would have thrived in one of those group marriage type situations where I would be living with and caring for and loving more than one man.  Have had some wonderful experiences with that but they all have been of relatively short duration.  But now I think even in that I would think in terms of primary and secondary relationships.  Because in the end no matter how many we love or care for we identify in terms of being husband and wife and part of a larger community with only one person and he becomes the center of our life and hopefully we of his.  And I think of how difficult it is often just to work things out as a couple - with more added to the mix it would just that much more difficult.  I don't mind sharing my husband and in fact I want him to be able to enjoy other women. But when it comes to home and family I want to be queen of my house because there as part of a couple my security lies and there it is just about my husband and myself and family when we have them and not about anyone else. 
      September 15, 2017 5:48 AM MDT