Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Do you monitor your child's online activity?

Do you monitor your child's online activity?

My son is 10 and he doesn't have a phone yet, but he has an IPad at his mother's house.
I talk to him about the dangers online and the inappropriate content out there and he says that he just plays games and texts his friends.
I can't monitor what he does online at his mother's place and I know she doesn't care what I think about it.
Is just talking to my son about the internet enough to protect him?
He's doing well in school and he doesn't seem to be acting out or exhibiting any signs of inappropriate behaviour.
Do you monitor your child's online activity?
What can I do better, or is it pointless to try to control what she allows in her home?

Posted - September 17, 2017

Responses

TS,
    It's, a difficult situation because you're not with him all the time to monitor him. You have talked with him about online saftey and from what you've said on amug, you have a very close relationship (bond) with him, that started from birth. You've done all that you can do, taking the time to talk with him about online safety and keep checking up with him :)
    I have a 10 year old son who has a tablet, he uses it to watch youtube videos and play games. My concern is his PS4, its connected to the internet and you have a headset, you can talk/play with people all over the world, people have fake names/aviators, I don't know who he could be playing with, we have talked about online safety, we set up rules of when he can play, and for me it is different because he lives with me all the time. All parents need to monitor their children, remember they are CHILDREN,sometimes parents buy these devices or give these devices to their child to keep the child busy and give the child no rules or talk to them about online safety,you are an excellent dedicated father. 
    This post was edited by ally at September 17, 2017 3:46 PM MDT
      September 17, 2017 3:37 PM MDT

• I appreciate your comments.
    My son does play games on his tablet with other kids online somehow as well.
    My ex has WiFi and the tablet connects to the internet that way.
    I try to talk to him about it, but I feel like I can't keep up with the access that he has.
    It's a new era these days, but I'm pretty confident that he hasn't searched po_n or anything because he just had his first sex education class and he went on and on about how grossed out be was when they showed a picture of naked people in health class.
    He's very sweet and innocent and I'm hoping that he doesn't see adult content online at too young of an age.
    I don't want it to affect him negatively in any way.
    I asked my ex to check our son's browser history and I hope that she monitors it.
    Thanks Ally. : ) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at September 17, 2017 4:01 PM MDT
      September 17, 2017 4:00 PM MDT

You can install monitoring apps. I also suggest you read this article: https://williamhenryprince.com/2017/06/23/child-grooming-abduction-a-true-story/ 

In my case, I don't worry so much about what my kids look at. We have a very open household and I expect my kids to be naturally curious about things. I check their histories occasionally and we discuss what they've looked at, but I do it in a very no-fault, no-blame, no-shame, sort of way. I make sure I correct any incorrect information they may have seen and provide healthier tips and outlets. I talk about whatever it may be in a very nonchalant way. Like, when my teen son was using the family PC to view certain things, we talked about how it wasn't appropriate to view things when his younger siblings were around. That was a no-brainer. Later, when he got a PC in his room, we talked about computer safety and how to avoid getting viruses. Obviously, for most parents, that wouldn't be the primary concern, but I'm just using that as a demonstration for how low-key I make the discussions. We transition very smoothly from talking about these sorts of concerns to concerns about what they're viewing. 

With my daughter, I worry more about things like the link above, and about how sensitive she may be to emotionally-charged images. There are body-shaming videos, pro-anorexia sites, pro-suicide sites, people beating each other up. And, so we talk about what drew her to the content, how she thinks the people in the videos felt, what could be done to make the situations right, if she has ever felt emotions like those depicted, and so on. And, we talk about how she can get help if she ever feels that way. Being a digital native, she thinks nothing about leaving comments and reviews on sites. Chatting everywhere is so second-nature, she doesn't even think about it. It's really hard, but I have talked to her about grooming and predators and what they do to gain trust. I also remind her that it's never the fault of the child when these things happen, and that the important thing is to always confide in a safe adult, regardless of what the person may say. She's also well aware of how easy it is to track someone online. We made a game of it the other night, just plugging details from people in Google and seeing what turned up. Naturally, we found addresses, and schools, and all sorts of things for different people. We didn't find her, but she knows it's a matter of time before she appears in the search engines too, and that she really has to be careful not to say anything that can identify her. She's still so little that anything some might consider "adult" that she looks up is really health-related. She does wind up on icky sites sometimes, but it's always because she's researching some kind of natural bodily function, and that gives us an "in" to discuss whatever she has questions about.

Because of this, my kids have never even tried to hide online activity. I never scold them. I just explain how or why some things can be dangerous, and we move on with life. 

The sad fact is, and if you read the article, you'll understand, it doesn't matter anymore if you give your kids a device or try to lock them in a tower and keep them away from technology. They will find it somewhere else. They'll get it at school or from a friend. You can install software or do spot checks, and I think parents should, but at the same time, the most important thing you can ever do is talk to your kids. That is the strongest defense. Should you limit what he sees at home? That's a personal question and each parent has their own set of values. I don't because it lets me see where my kids are at. I know what areas might be trouble because they do it in my home. That doesn't mean I'm going to flip on a violent or sexual flick and watch it with my kids, but I let them be their own beings and try to coach them based on their behaviors. More conservative parents wouldn't. They'd restrict. I think that just makes kids hide things, but that's my personal parenting philosophy, and I know others would disagree.  
      September 17, 2017 3:45 PM MDT

• I think you're right.
    I can't raise my son as if it's the 90's.
    I need to adapt to this technology and keep communicating with him as well as being open for him to discuss anything that he does see.
    He comes to me to discuss crushes that he has on girls in his class and be talks about the girl that likes him as well because he knows that I won't tease him or scold him or anything so I like your approach in dealing with online issues as well.
    The more comfortable he is talking to me about what he's experiencing in his life and online the better.

Thanks for sharing that article too. It is shocking how much of a hold these pedophiles can have on a child that they've groomed and how they keep coming back and pursuing their victims.
    It's sickening and I applaud that father for having the self control to not kill that man who was trying to abuse his daughter.
    I worry about my son, but my niece is on her phone a lot too.
    I'm sure her mom keeps an eye on that, but it's something for me to be cautious about if I am watching her for whatever reason. She is 10 and she is on her phone constantly.

I think I will send that article to my ex wife as well in the hopes that she'll read it and at least be aware of the possible dangers online.
    Thanks, Just Asking I appreciate it.
      September 17, 2017 4:51 PM MDT