Active Now

Spunky
Thebigd
CosmicWunderkind
Pet Eater
Zack
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Do you think there are more people who PRAY FOR people or PREY ON people? Why?

Do you think there are more people who PRAY FOR people or PREY ON people? Why?

Posted - September 20, 2017

Responses

Many fit both categories.

September 20, 2017 1:11 PM MDT

Which category contains MORE people? Thank you for your reply and the graphic and Happy Thrusday.
      September 21, 2017 2:55 AM MDT

Its about even. How many people SAY they'll "pray for" someone then let it slide as if the gesture was enough. I'll bet the percentage is Surprising. 

As an atheist, I can appreciate the sentiment when offered, except when the intent is condescension, but don't consciously expect anything to change because of it. Myself, I'd rather get actual help...or cash ???? 

Prayer is usually more cathartic for those who think they are speaking to "God", than beneficial to those who are ostensibly being prayed for.  
      September 20, 2017 2:36 PM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful reply Don B. I appreciate it. Here's my take on it. I rarely say "I'll pray for you". Certainly not to those who think religious folks are nuts. But I do say and mean  "You are in my thoughts and I hope things will get better for you." I don't say what I don't mean. That would make me a liar and I do not consciously lie. I always say what I mean or I say nothing. Some of my most-loved friends and family are Atheists. Different strokes. I neither look down upon nor up to folks for their beliefs. If I share them I say so. If I don't I either say so or let it slide and say nothing. Sometimes distance and a tight budget make  physical or financial help impossible. Yet it costs nothing to care about what happens to someone and send "good thoughts". Wouldn't you rather I think of you kindly and hope all goes for you than not? I mean what could it hurt? Perhaps it can't help but what could it hurt? Happy Thursday to thee!  :) This post was edited by RosieG at September 21, 2017 4:37 AM MDT
      September 21, 2017 2:40 AM MDT

I take the viewpoint that, if someone says they will pray for you ... they are preying on you.
    Why?
    Because they are pretending to care about your situation, but offering no real help.
    All they are doing, is soothing their own conscience about not doing anything. This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at September 21, 2017 2:45 AM MDT
      September 20, 2017 2:40 PM MDT

I disagree with thee Walt and I surely wish you didn't feel that way. Here's why. You can't really KNOW for certain what is in someone's heart or what the motive/intention is or what people really think or really feel.  I take people at their word until and unless they prove me wrong. Automatically labeling someone guilty of pretense means you think that person is a liar. I think that's very harsh and unfair judgment because it isn't based on evidence. I'm assuming here it isn't. If it is that's a horse of a different color. Sure I can be played for a sap and fall for a line. I have in the past and I will in the future. But I think giving people the benefit of the doubt doesn't harm me in any substantive way and it doesn't indict them for things of which they are not guilty.  If I tell you " you are in my thoughts and I hope everything gets better for you" you can take that to the bank. I mean every word. For you to say I am pretending is convicting me of something of which I am innocent. Why would you do that?  Why not accept what people tell you as being what they mean and feel and think? Of course you'll feel like a sap if you're wrong about someone but here's the bright side of that coin. You will never convict an innocent person. I don't know if that makes sense to you but it is sensible to me. Have I been wrong about people? You betchure bippy I have.  But still I would rather be wrong about trusting someone that wrong about having mistrusted or distrusted someone. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday! :) 
      September 21, 2017 2:54 AM MDT

To say "I will pray for you" is different from saying "I will keep you in my thoughts".
    It's saying they will ask some higher power to come to your aid. 
    It is implying help will come, while saying they won't help you themselves.

Now, maybe they don't purposefully intend that message ... I'm sure they don't.
    But when looked at objectively, that IS the message.

It is also predatory / abusive in nature.
    It implies - and some people will state it outright - that if you are NOT helped, it is somehow your fault.
    You didn't have enough faith - or - You must deserve it - or - You are going through a trial.
    In other words, they blame the victim.

September 21, 2017 9:01 AM MDT

I think you are dead wrong on every count. You are reading into a very simple statement things that are not there. They are things you bring with you and impute to them. Whether I say "I will pray for you" or "my thoughts are with you" there is no expectation or demand from me that if my prayers don't fix the situation it is the fault of the person for whom I prayed. That is absurd! A defect as it were in the person for whom I prayed. A lack of faith. Seriously?. I think that is a huge stretch and I cannot logically figure out how you would come to that. I know brains are wired differently. But as the recipient of what I think/intend you are not the arbiter of the meaning. I am. I know what I mean. I know what my intention is. You pervert it if you transform it into an expectation of success or failure and lay that at the door of the person I pray for. You say I would blame the victim. Are you  sure you are not using transference? Putting yourself in my place and ASSUMING what my reaction would be? This is quite shocking to me as a matter of fact. I do appreciate that you shared it with me however. I would never in my wildest imagination have considered something like this. Now I know what you think and I expect you are not singular nor unique in this. Thank you for your reply Walt and Happy First Day of Autumn Friday in the USA! :) This post was edited by RosieG at September 22, 2017 5:49 AM MDT
      September 22, 2017 5:47 AM MDT

I'm not transferring the "blame the victim" mentality.

Nor am I saying everyone that says "I'll pray for you" believe that.

However ... having grown up in the church and been around believers all my life ... I can tell you there are literally thousands of people who will actually tell people "You didn't have enough faith" or otherwise voice their blame of the victim.  And there are very few people in the church who will refute it, when it's said.

September 22, 2017 8:30 AM MDT

Image result for funny images of the blob gifsDid i hear someone say prey?
      September 22, 2017 5:57 AM MDT