Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Recreation » Dancing feels better than sitting still. Exercise energizes. Couch potatoing doesn't do anything. Is moving about one key to happiness?

Dancing feels better than sitting still. Exercise energizes. Couch potatoing doesn't do anything. Is moving about one key to happiness?

Posted - September 21, 2017

Responses

Basically, keep physically fit and you keep mentally and emotionally fit too.
      October 30, 2017 4:47 PM MDT

I'm not an athlete Durdle. The only "sport" I was half-way OK playing was Badminton and that's only because the "birdie" flew ever so slowly over the net so I could get to it. I tried tennis (Jim plays and is quite good) but my depth perception is off kilter due to having had several eye surgeries. But honestly even if I didn't have that problem I'd probably be lousy at it. It's goes too fast. I don't think I could keep up. Walking is my best bet. I enjoy it but I enjoy it most when it serves a two-fold purpose. Like briskly walking up and down the aisles in the supermarket. Since I'm a foodie and LOVE to cook a huge supermarket is one of my favorite places to be. Food shopping is by far my favorite kind of shopping. I perk up when I get inside a grocery store. It never fails! Even if I'm feeling kinda puny! Different strokes. Do you or did you  play any sports? Jim also plays golf and that is his real passion sportwise. Thank you for your reply! :)
      October 31, 2017 2:44 AM MDT

I was never particularly interested in formal sports and athletics, and not very good at it. As for catching a ball, or hitting on flight with a bat or racket... I managed occasionally but usually missed.

It was originally walking, then later caving, that kept me physically active; and still does to a lesser extent. Bad knees limit me now.
      October 31, 2017 12:24 PM MDT

Condolences for the bad knees m'dear. I loved Badminton. Why? Because the birdie flew ever so slowly so I could hit it occasionally. A tennis ball is way to fast. I used to run but when I turned 50 my doctor said those days were over. I do enjoy walking though and I walk a lot. Thank you for your reply Durdle. This is a pretty old question. I don't know who resuscitated it! :)
      September 6, 2018 11:55 AM MDT

Thank you Rosie!

Seems to have been some bloke called Durdle who resuscitated it - as the first to answer, five weeks after you'd posted it! Was probably too busy exercising to answer promptly.

I've been chatting for some time now with a young man on another site, who reckons hardly any men continue playing at adult level the sports they enjoyed at school or college. He added that of those who do, most are not very fit, and often drunk before they play! He lives somewhere in rural USA, in Utah I think, and gives the impression this is common. Surely not in the States generally. In his town perhaps, which  appears to be in quite a poor area with little employment and that, poorly-paid. That came after I'd suggested he join a local-league team or sports-club.

I've never been in those types of sports, nor do I use a gym, but my various hobbies are all quite physically active.
      September 8, 2018 3:48 PM MDT