Active Now

Randy D
Element 99
DannyPetti
Slartibartfast
my2cents
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Communication » When you don't know what to say to someone do you insult/compliment/remain mute? Why?

When you don't know what to say to someone do you insult/compliment/remain mute? Why?

Posted - September 21, 2017

Responses

I'm a quiet shy/ introvert, so I would stay mute. 
      September 21, 2017 9:01 PM MDT

I used to be painfully shy ally. I still am in some ways but I'm far less concerned with what other people think of me. I say what I think. I don't  try to be mean. If people like it that's great. If they don't that's fine too. There is nothing anyone can do to me so there is really nothing to fear. Sometimes if you speak up you will find that you give others the courage to speak up. Sometimes it's nice to be the first one..the brave one. Because that means you are being true to yourself. Also you never know how what you say will affect others. Here's a very small example. I was in a grocery store once and I saw a lady who looked lovely and her blouse was exceptionally beautiful. Now I'm an old lady so people don't feel threatened by me. I walked up to her and told her she looked  beautiful and that I especially like her blouse. She started to tear up and told me that she made a special effort to look good because she was on her way to have her first  Chemo treatment for cancer. We hugged. A perfect stranger to me as I was to her and we hugged. She said I had made her day by complimenting her. Now it cost me nothing. I was just being honest. I said what I thought and it turned out to be something of value to her. Try it out. You might be surprised at the reaction. Thank you for your reply! :)
      September 22, 2017 3:04 AM MDT

thank you for understanding,  with all your responses today, I've been through a lot and it's been hard for  me to deal with it all. You have amazing insight and life experience and apply it to your replies. If your willing, I am sending you a friend request,  would you be my friend?
      September 22, 2017 5:59 AM MDT

Of course ally. I'm honored that you want to be my friend and when I saw the request I immediately accepted it.  I appreciate the kind words as well. You will find I always say what I think. I try to say it without hurting anyone. I'm not always successful. I've lived a long time and learned a lot and just as I love it when the kind folks here share what they know/think I like to share what I know/think. How else do you learn? I think disagreement is fine. It gives you more information than you would have on your own. You don't need to be disagreeable when you disagree. You can say "I disagree and here's why" or just simply say "I disagree" and let it go at that. There is never any need to insult/attack the people here or anywhere for that matter. Of course for me a huge exception to that are politicians. You know the ones who make promises and break them or lie and deny they did? They are not my favorite people so I ask a lot of questions about them and they are filled with insults! I do it purposely and  purposefully because anyone who lies doesn't deserve respect. And I think, sadly, ALL POLITICIANS LIE! :(  Thank you for your reply ally and Happy Wednesday! :)
      September 27, 2017 3:32 AM MDT

• Are you still in touch with her? 
      September 26, 2017 7:14 PM MDT

No Neelie. I regret not getting her phone number at the time so that I could have called her and checked on her progress.  It never occurred to me in that moment. This was quite a few years ago and I do think of  her in situations such as this when I recount my experience. I remember what she looked like face-wise. I don't remember what the blouse looked like. I do hope her chemo went well for her though. Thank you for asking m'dear! :)
      September 27, 2017 3:39 AM MDT

I most often just try to be pleasant.  Though I find that in most cases people don't expect me to say much of anything. 
      September 22, 2017 6:28 AM MDT

I think a kind word or a smile is always welcome but it's a lot better to say nothing than to say the wrong thing or something hurtful. Thank you for your reply officegirl and Happy Wednesday! :)
      September 27, 2017 3:40 AM MDT