Active Now

Slartibartfast
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » Can it be said marriage is about what you may or may not do for her and divorce is about what you will?

Can it be said marriage is about what you may or may not do for her and divorce is about what you will?

Posted - September 23, 2017

Responses

I like it, OYK, but there may be other choices in this answer.

For instance, Marriage is about what you may or may not contribute, but divorce is what is thought of the contributions you made.
      September 23, 2017 2:37 PM MDT

Maybe. I was married for 34 years to my late husband. We would have done anything for each other.
      September 23, 2017 2:52 PM MDT

I stared at this forever because I didn't get it. Probably because I'm already divorced, so the last would would read "wouldn't."
    Yeah, I guess so. And vice versa as well.
      September 23, 2017 3:42 PM MDT

All this gloom and doom crap about marriage and relationships is starting to wear on my last nerve.  I'm starting to get back into the dating world and this stuff is really sucking the wind out of my sails.  Where is the "what you can do for each other" scenario?  All relationships, friendships, and marriage, are a two way street.  If one person is doing all the giving and they are resentful about it, it's their own damned fault for allowing that to occur. Regarding divorce, I have many women friends who are the primary breadwinners, so if they get divorced, it's what SHE will do for him.  
      September 23, 2017 4:03 PM MDT

•   September 23, 2017 4:09 PM MDT

Thanks you sweets.
      September 23, 2017 5:35 PM MDT

right on ;)
      September 23, 2017 7:52 PM MDT

No.  Marriage is about choosing and committing to your whole life with, respecting, and loving one person.  Americans have  seemed to not be able to do that in the last generations.  I am encouraged because, despite all of the negative and worrisome stuff we hear about millennials, they do seem to be very serious about marriage and want marriage.  I thought it would happen in the group prior, but finally a generation is rebelling about divorce, unstable single-parent homes, parents' girlfriends/boyfriends, and homes missing a dad.  I find that encouraging. 
      September 23, 2017 6:15 PM MDT