Active Now

Slartibartfast
Randy D
DannyPetti
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Are you able to engage with those who are disdainful and condescending? How?

Are you able to engage with those who are disdainful and condescending? How?

Posted - September 24, 2017

Responses

Self esteem is a powerful ally.
    The key to engaging such unpleasant types as you mention is to not allow their manner to affect yours. No one but you can decide how you feel about something, but if you allow them to affect you, then the other guy wins. This post was edited by Don Barzini at September 25, 2017 2:46 AM MDT
      September 24, 2017 6:09 AM MDT

I admit I am a coward Don B. I avoid those whom I know are gonna tick me off. That doesn't mean I avoid folks with whom I disagree. Just the ones who are insulting and patronizing. In the olden days of long ago when I was younger I did engage with them. Now I'd much rather chat with those who are civil, thoughtful and substantive. I have no patience nor the inclination to take them on so I don't! Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday to thee! :)
      September 25, 2017 2:49 AM MDT

• I take the time to answer your bitter and poisonous questions.  Does that answer your question? Sounds like being able to engage with those who are disdainful and condescending to me.
      September 24, 2017 4:35 PM MDT

Only when I want a good laugh.
      September 24, 2017 4:39 PM MDT

You don't get ticked off tom? It doesn't bother you that some dumba** is talking down to you? Boy I sure admire that. I say good for you! Me? I can't stand them so I avoid them.  I know that is a cowardly thing to do but I really try to avoid getting upset. I'd much rather invest my time with folks who are civil and even polite, cordial, informative, thoughtful, substantive. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :)
      September 25, 2017 2:46 AM MDT

It's not unusual for new new people to talk down to me simply because they are used to dismissing people with a massive barrage of bovine excrement.

After I throw each piece back at them with precise aim, it seldom happens again since word gets around.  Normally when I have occasion to speak seriously with people who know me around, one can hear a pin drop.
      September 25, 2017 9:51 AM MDT

No, I don't get ticked off.  I'm kind of like velvet draped over sharp spurs.  It's always open season on fools. 
      September 25, 2017 3:59 PM MDT

Velvet draped over sharp spurs will surely get ripped/torn/snagged though. Thank you for your reply tom and Happy Tuesday! :)
      September 26, 2017 2:48 AM MDT