Active Now

Danilo_G
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » While not intending to discredit the practice, has anyone considered what necessity is served by playing the anthem at EVERY sporting event?

While not intending to discredit the practice, has anyone considered what necessity is served by playing the anthem at EVERY sporting event?

Posted - September 25, 2017

Responses

I think it's just something to hype the fans and the players up. Adds Adrenalin. 
      September 25, 2017 2:45 PM MDT

Thats good. Part of the pageantry. It is a tradition.

Do you think the Prez should have bigger issues to contend with than this?  This post was edited by Don Barzini at September 26, 2017 10:19 AM MDT
      September 25, 2017 2:51 PM MDT

Trying to control, or having a say over someone else's words and actions is a waste of time. People are going to do what they're going to do. I'm not much of a Trump fan anymore, tbh, so I'm not sticking up for him here btw. "Bigger issues" is 100% subjective. What is a bigger issue? Who am I to say? I'm just a rock fan. I know we both like Neil Young. So there's a good chance you'll like this one. I'm done with politics. I'm burned-out on it, soz. 

September 25, 2017 2:59 PM MDT

Rock on, Righty. 
      September 25, 2017 3:07 PM MDT

It is usually to promote patriotism. But sadly it tends to beget parroting, more than patriotism.
      September 25, 2017 4:55 PM MDT

There are no laws nor "rules" stating that one must stand up for the Anthem in any situation. The firing of Kapernik was unjustified despite any of the reasons he cited. He didn't need a reason and could have just said: "I am not required to and I didn't want to.", as can anyone else. The military makes their own rules and they are required to stand and salute.
      September 25, 2017 6:00 PM MDT

Very true. Kap got a raw deal, but in this age of PC, he likely knew the consequences. To his credit, I've not been made aware of any complaint from him about it. 
      September 25, 2017 7:31 PM MDT