Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Do you think that experiencing different cultures and opening your mind is a good thing or a dangerous thing to do?

Do you think that experiencing different cultures and opening your mind is a good thing or a dangerous thing to do?

I knew a man who almost flew himself into Iran to meet someone in person and take the risk, would you consider such a venture yourself?

Posted - July 25, 2016

Responses

I think it is a wonderful thing.

To believe that only your culture and your set of beliefs are right is a sign of bigotry and ignorance and that only brings sadness and problems to the world.

July 25, 2016 9:12 PM MDT

To you general question, yes!

To the specific question of travelling to Iran, I would be hesitant given the current political situation.

July 25, 2016 9:17 PM MDT

I agree and I wouldn't travel there at this time. But the person I referred to had it planned but things didn't go his way. I think you might know who I'm writing about.

July 25, 2016 9:45 PM MDT

July 25, 2016 9:46 PM MDT

Woah. That's out there. I guess under different circumstances, I'd fly to Egypt and India to meet friends. I think experiencing different cultures is a good thing. 

July 25, 2016 10:50 PM MDT

Knowledge is always a good thing.  Traveling to experience different cultures is a good thing if the destination is a safe one.  I would not go to Iran though.  I can't think of any reason to go to any nation governed under Islamic law. 

July 26, 2016 12:38 PM MDT
  • Bez

It is not generally a bad thing, I wouldn't say it is dangerous in most cases, but I don't know about Iran. That might be a bit iffy.

July 26, 2016 1:01 PM MDT

That is not opening anything but an accident waiting to happen.

An open mind refers to allowing for other possibilities besides a stunted viewpoint that one harbors because one does not want to grow and learn and seek answers besides the opinions he has formed.   In other words, to grow and thrive, you need mental fertilizer and need to exercise your mind and body further by actually experiencing life in the real world by getting out there.   'You can shut yourself in, but you cannot,  forever,  shut the world out.  '   Gandalf to Bilbo in the Lord of the Rings; The Fellowship

July 26, 2016 1:07 PM MDT